[SOLVED] Curious if theres a real answer to this?

Tony De

Honorable
Aug 8, 2015
How many TB need to be unused for a 10.9TB drive to not be in the "red zone" of your PC's Drive list? My 12TB has actually 10.9TB available for use and I have used all but 800GB of it. Is there a real reason why it goes "Red" at a certain point. My 4TB HDD seem to need approx 400GB of spave left at the end so to speak. Is this really necessary? is there a set amount that should be left per TB? Thanks for any info. Just really interested if anyone has a real answer to this because I looked online and didnt see any explanation. FYI, I usually leave about 200-250GB on each drive whether its oin the "red"zone or not. Is that bad? Cheers

Solution
In File Explorer, a drive or partition will show as Red if there is less than 10% free space.

An SSD needs about 15-20% free space, minimum.
HDD, doesn't really matter.
The red bar just indicated the drive has less than 10% (I believe, your experience shows this as well) space remaining.
HDDs dont need free space like SSDs do. If you fill up an SSD its bad for the drives health.
With an HDD it wont negatively impact the drive, but you do want to leave a little bit of space for temp files and the works.

Tony De

Honorable
Aug 8, 2015
Thanks to you all. Very helpful and informative.
I have more spoace I can now use on my Server drives as I only use SSD for the C Drives or OS Drives & always leave space on em.
Thanks for the full explanations. Cheers