[SOLVED] Current $400-500 GPU Suggestions?

Oct 29, 2020
Got my current Vega 56 a couple months ago at 210, saw that the used market has gone up to 450+ so I managed to get 430 out of it yesterday as I've been looking for a newer one (USD by the way). Although they're neat and powerful cards, my electric bill isn't a flat rate, and this thing, especially on a v64 bios with +50% power draw, is not too kind to me. Also sounds like a jet engine.

Which cards, given the insanely stupid current prices, are a good option?
At the moment it seems that I can pick up a used 1080 from around 450, or win the lottery and somehow scavenge a 3060 ti. I'd LOVE to grab a 5700 xt to pair with my 3600, but everything NEW is out of stock or 800 dollars. I don't mind waiting a couple weeks if it means I can potentially get a 3060 ti or 5700xt (or any other gpu in the same zip code)

Just looking for another mind to confirm for me. I'll be watching for replies and insight.
Thanks

Solution
"Got my current Vega 56 a couple months ago at 210, saw that the used market has gone up to 450+ so I managed to get 430 out of it yesterday "
Stonks xD
I dont think a 1080 would be a good idea if im being honest,there isnt much of a difference worth paying 450$ between vega 56 and a 1080,which is the amd equivalent of a vega 64 when overclocked a bit (a big bit xD).
This is probably a dumb question but can you find a 3060Ti for 450-500$?
If not there is a thing called EVGA queue,which i know nothing about,but im sure @Phaaze88 knows,since he entered it.
"Got my current Vega 56 a couple months ago at 210, saw that the used market has gone up to 450+ so I managed to get 430 out of it yesterday "
Stonks xD
I dont think a 1080 would be a good idea if im being honest,there isnt much of a difference worth paying 450$ between vega 56 and a 1080,which is the amd equivalent of a vega 64 when overclocked a bit (a big bit xD).
If not there is a thing called EVGA queue,which i know nothing about,but im sure @Phaaze88 knows,since he entered it.

Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Good luck with that one; over time, more and more people find out about it, and the line just gets longer...
I signed up for a 3080 FTW3 Ultra Hybrid on Jan 8th, and probably won't see a notification until some 3 months later; the hybrid models aren't as popular as the usual air cooled models.

Best Buy - if one is near you - could also be an option. They are actually following Nvidia's and AMD's MSRPs for the FE and reference cards.
Blah, blah, blah... it really is a bad time to need a gpu

Reactions: Dj0gany
Oct 29, 2020
Stonks xD

youre exactly right. in terms of performance, there's not a big gain. my v56 is on v64 bios too. however, i've had driver issues in the past, and unnecessary screen artifacting every now and then. models in games sometime render in ways they shouldn't (such as mesh and texture quality). All of this is common amongst v56 cards, it's not a bad sample. This is why I'm looking at a 1080. There are a couple listings around for a 1080 at 430 to 450, so in reality i don't need to spend a dime.

Reactions: Dj0gany
youre exactly right. in terms of performance, there's not a big gain. my v56 is on v64 bios too. however, i've had driver issues in the past, and unnecessary screen artifacting every now and then. models in games sometime render in ways they shouldn't (such as mesh and texture quality). All of this is common amongst v56 cards, it's not a bad sample. This is why I'm looking at a 1080. There are a couple listings around for a 1080 at 430 to 450, so in reality i don't need to spend a dime.
How much are 1080Ti's?

TRENDING THREADS