Current Build Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

carms21

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
Hey guys I recently built my first system and I am having trouble powering up. Before I connected the atx12v 4 pin connector to the 8pin connector on the motherboard the computer turned on fine. Now that I have it connected the computer will not even start. When I turn on the power switch the motherboard power and reset switch light up as well just will not turn on.

Also on my graphics card the PSU only has 1 4-pin +2 connector for pci'e yet the 7970 has a full 8 more slots do I connect anything to those? I already have the 4pin connected to 1 side there is just another 8 pins on the left.

Setup:
GPU: SAPPHIRE 21197-00-40G Radeon HD 7970 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX850 V2 850W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power
MB: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Solution
OK, first thing: Stop and take a deep breath, before you burn out one of your components or start a fire.

Now,

- Your motherboard has an 8-pin auxiliary power connector. Your power supply's specs says it has a 4+4 connector - two 4-pronged plugs that snap together into an 8-pronged plug:
http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/eps4plus4.jpg

If you're only plugging in one of those 4-pin connectors, you're doing it wrong. Some motherboards will run without any auxiliary power connected, but plugging the wrong amount of auxiliary power can throw it off and there's a good chance it won't start. Worse, if you plug it in to the wrong set of pins (with 8 pins there's only one way it can go it, but plugging 4 into 8 sometimes you can...
OK, first thing: Stop and take a deep breath, before you burn out one of your components or start a fire.

Now,

- Your motherboard has an 8-pin auxiliary power connector. Your power supply's specs says it has a 4+4 connector - two 4-pronged plugs that snap together into an 8-pronged plug:
http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/eps4plus4.jpg

If you're only plugging in one of those 4-pin connectors, you're doing it wrong. Some motherboards will run without any auxiliary power connected, but plugging the wrong amount of auxiliary power can throw it off and there's a good chance it won't start. Worse, if you plug it in to the wrong set of pins (with 8 pins there's only one way it can go it, but plugging 4 into 8 sometimes you can force it where it doesn't belong) you can conceivably damage your motherboard. So above all, find the two 4-pin connectors that go together

- Next: Your power supply has four 6+2 pin connectors:
http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/pcie6plus2.jpg

There is no such thing as a 4+2 pin connector, so I'm hoping 6+2 is what you meant. Anyway, your video card is supposed to have one 6-pin connector and one 8-pin connector, and it will use both (they do not put extra power connectors on video cards for no reason). 6+2 connectors are designed to work as either a 6-pin (with the other 2 pins unused) or an 8-pin (if the other 2 pins are snapped together), so basically just find two of the 6+2 connectors and plug them in. That should do it.

Solution

carms21

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012

Edit: Problem Solved THX

Status
Not open for further replies.