Current card 5770. Want to upgrade. Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ago_Otaku

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
Ok, here is the deal. I currently have a XFX 5770. I'm looking to upgrade but I definitely need some advice. Currently I can play almost anything without issue but I feel like the performance can be better. Just got Skyrim and I can run it on Ultra with no video lag or any issues at all BUT I still feel like it can be better. Also, when I play League of Legends I usually run 60 fps no problem but soon as a battle erupts and there are all sorts on units on screen with spells flying everywhere I dip fairly hard. Now I like to future proof my systems as much as possible meaning I don't want to have to upgrade in a year. I have no preference for ATI or Nvidia. Budget wise something in the $200 range will work give or take. Any suggestions?

Solution
Skyrim is a CPU whore, no matter what GPU you do have, you need to have a strong CPU to get a constant 60 FPS.
CPU%20Clock.png

I have the 1055T @ 4.0 GHz and i got 60 FPS with my HD 6950 playing @ Ultra 1080P with everything pushed to the max.
So you need to OC your CPU, get a decent card such as the GTX 560ti or HD 6950 and you're good to go.

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
It could still be the CPU because the Phenom x6's were junk unless you overclocked the crap out of them. A overclocked Q6600 is better than a phenom X6 at that clock in League of legends because LOL doesnt use 6 cores.

Ago_Otaku

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
I figured that upgrade wouldn't make a difference. I was just being silly :p

I will definitely try a bit of overclocking and see where it takes me. I still would appreciate some suggestions on some graphics card upgrades just in case the extra speed doesn't help.

The Phenom II X6 isn't really holding back your performance unless you are playing at relatively low resolution. Most games are GPU limited not CPU limited as long as the CPU itself is not a bottleneck which the PII X6 is not. What resolution are you playing at?

Click the following two links for some CPU benchmarks for Crysis 2:

1280x1024 & 1600x1200 resolutions:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/crysis-2-dx11-vga-and-cpu-performance-benchmarks/5

1920x1200 & 2560x1600 resolutions:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/crysis-2-dx11-vga-and-cpu-performance-benchmarks/6

You should notice that as the resolution increases the performance gap between the PII X6 1100T and an i5-2500k / i7-2600k decreases.

Skyrim is a CPU whore, no matter what GPU you do have, you need to have a strong CPU to get a constant 60 FPS.
CPU%20Clock.png

I have the 1055T @ 4.0 GHz and i got 60 FPS with my HD 6950 playing @ Ultra 1080P with everything pushed to the max.
So you need to OC your CPU, get a decent card such as the GTX 560ti or HD 6950 and you're good to go.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.