Current CPU Longevity and looking for upgrade!

RunDougRun

Honorable
Jul 2, 2013
Hello Forum!!!
I've been researching and learning more each day about my PC. I've learned that my current Motherboard/Cpu Combo is about as far as it can go.....

From my other posts, I've gathered that I can extend the "Life" of it by adding a better GPU (Gtx 650 ti Boost)......

I came across this cool chart on this website:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html

and they suggested that I shouldn't invest in a new CPU unless it moves 2 tiers......
I currently have the AMD Phenom II x4 955 so based on that chart, I could move up 1 tier.

Here are my current specs:
CPU: AMD Phemon II X4 955 @ 3.2Ghz
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9500
Motherboard: Asrock Extreme3 870
GPU: EVGA FPB Geforce GTX 460 768mb
Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro M600 Modular
RAM: Corsair XMS3 6gb DDR3 1333
SSD: OCZ 60gb SSD
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 640gb SATA 6.0gb/s

I'm not sure how much longer I can ride this one out......
Obviously, GPU will be next and after that I will look to get new CPU/Mobo.....

How much longer until this CPU is obsolete....
Right now it does everything I need it to (Including games) but I want to plan for the future.....

Sorry for long post!!!

RunDougRun

Honorable
Jul 2, 2013
Can I add one more stick of the same brand.....
For instance add 1x4gb or 1x2gb.......

Or will I have to ditch my current RAM? I really don't have the money for all new RAM and a video card.
I am glad that the CPU isn't a dinosaur yet =)

My understanding was it needs to be the same speed and timings, so if you have 2 x 2Gb and 2 x 1Gb it should be fine as long as there the same speed (you can run RAM slower than its stock timing to match whats there).

If you have a 2Gb stick and a 4Gb stick then either add a 4Gb & a 2Gb or add a 4Gb and remove the 2Gb. I assume the PC is for gaming by the GPU if so 8Gb is all you need. Overclocking the CPU will help it run better if you upgrade the GPU.

RunDougRun

Honorable
Jul 2, 2013
Last question of the night....
Can I use another brand......
As long as the Speed, Latency and timing is the same......

Only reason I ask, is I have Amazon Prime and I get free 2 day shipping lol......