Question Current gen laptop camt even run 2009 games without lagging

Aaryaman Piplani

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2013
I recently bought an Asus vivobook 15 x512j with the I5 1035G1 at 1.0 cuz with turbo boost to 3.6 ghz, 8gb ram ddr4 , Nvidia mx 330 2gb with a 200 th ssd and 1tb hard drive . It has got an ok amount of everything. But here is the issue . I loaded it with company of heroes , dead space 3 and battlefield 3 . My settings are usually 720p at low. But the games are playing like 60fps for 10 secs then they dramatically crash to like 20. I am surprised that bf3 is running much easily than dead space 3 and even company of heroes. I have updated all hardware firmware and graphic card drivers and have set it to performance mode and only use the laptop with the charger. Also it doesn't heat up a lot. Please help I am at my wit's end

Solution
I recently bought an Asus vivobook 15 x512j with the I5 1035G1 at 1.0 cuz with turbo boost to 3.6 ghz, 8gb ram ddr4 , Nvidia mx 330 2gb with a 200 th ssd and 1tb hard drive . It has got an ok amount of everything. But here is the issue . I loaded it with company of heroes , dead space 3 and battlefield 3 . My settings are usually 720p at low. But the games are playing like 60fps for 10 secs then they dramatically crash to like 20. I am surprised that bf3 is running much easily than dead space 3 and even company of heroes. I have updated all hardware firmware and graphic card drivers and have set it to performance mode and only use the laptop with the charger. Also it doesn't heat up a lot. Please help I am at my wit's end
Nov 20, 2020
According to the things you did I dont see any other problem rather then the low specs. Have you ever checked the temparatures while gaming? "60 FPS for 10 secs and then a sudden drop" might means that this can also be a thermal issue. Try cleaning the dust out of your laptop by using compressed air and vacuum. Best cleaning is by taking the laptop apart (also replacing the thermal paste) but you can still do a decent cleaning without opening it. Another way that might solve this issu is a CLEAN installation of windows.
Hope I could helped, looking foward to hear from you.

Best Regards

Solution

Aaryaman Piplani

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2013
Just ran bf3 and dead space 3 at low settings with and without v sync at 720p. GPU and CPU temperatures stay below 71 centigrade. While frame rate may jump up to 200 fps and may fall till 19fps. V sync also doesn't help in dead space 3 but makes bf3 tolerable.

Nov 20, 2020
Just ran bf3 and dead space 3 at low settings with and without v sync at 720p. GPU and CPU temperatures stay below 71 centigrade. While frame rate may jump up to 200 fps and may fall till 19fps. V sync also doesn't help in dead space 3 but makes bf3 tolerable.
My friend had the same issue like this one you had in bf3. FPS was stuck around 18 but when he restarts his pc everything gets back to normal. Might be charging issue. What is the condition of your charger? It may not be able to output the amount of energy necessary for your laptop. Make sure your laptop is being charged. Another thing that might be causing this issue is windows 10 itself. Are you up to date? How about your graphics driver etc.? Your computer might trying to do something in the background (sucah as windows update) while you try to game. If you are up to date and assume your charger is good; then all I can suggest is to install a clean OS. Hope this helps. Looking foward to hear from you.

Best Regards

Last edited:

Aaryaman Piplani

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2013
Charger seems fine ,it came with the laptop. Yes sometimes it's downloading updates for Windows. But I still often play offline and also a clean install is not possible as I don't have an installation disk for Windows. But I'll play again tomorrow and this time I won't connect it to the net for even a second

Nov 20, 2020
Charger seems fine ,it came with the laptop. Yes sometimes it's downloading updates for Windows. But I still often play offline and also a clean install is not possible as I don't have an installation disk for Windows. But I'll play again tomorrow and this time I won't connect it to the net for even a second
Make sure you are up to date on all drivers and windows updates. If the problem is still occuring, instead of reinstalling windows; try "FRESH START" option in the windows security section. Good luck. Hope I helped.

Best regards
Fresh-start-768x554.jpg