[SOLVED] Current SSD to new laptop

Nov 8, 2018
I am getting a new laptop, and I am thinking of using my current SSD and putting it into the new laptop. Will it work? I want it so my system and my files are kept in the SSD, and will just have a newer laptop with better components. I have seen some forums saying that this will not work, and I will have to reset and do a clean install on my SSD if I wanted to move it to a new laptop. Is this true?

Thanks

Solution
From my experience. It will usually work from Windows 7 onward. If Intel to Intel or AMD to AMD. I’ve had success dropping a Win 7 drive from a P45 chipset Core 2 Quad to an H170 chipset i3-6100.

However, there are usually annoying glitches that crop up. You’ll end up spending more time trying to fix those problems than you would have performing a clean install, updates, app installs and data transfer. Tracking down OS issues is also more technically challenging than a reinstall.

You can try it. It shouldn’t hurt anything. You should have a backup if you care about your data anyway. Odds are you’ll have inexplicable errors plaguing you.

USAFRet

Titan

Drive+ OS from a different laptop?
Highly unlikely to boot up.

We all wish it were otherwise. But it isn't.

From my experience. It will usually work from Windows 7 onward. If Intel to Intel or AMD to AMD. I’ve had success dropping a Win 7 drive from a P45 chipset Core 2 Quad to an H170 chipset i3-6100.

However, there are usually annoying glitches that crop up. You’ll end up spending more time trying to fix those problems than you would have performing a clean install, updates, app installs and data transfer. Tracking down OS issues is also more technically challenging than a reinstall.

You can try it. It shouldn’t hurt anything. You should have a backup if you care about your data anyway. Odds are you’ll have inexplicable errors plaguing you.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

I've seen it work, I've seen it fail.

Pentium G840 -> i3-8100, success
i5-3570k -> i7-4790k, fail.
2 almost identical HP/Compaq laptops, fail.

And then with laptops and the preinstalled OS, you run into licensing/activation issues.