[SOLVED] Currently have 2 970 sli. Switching from Intel to Ryzen. Upgrade Gpu now or wait?

Jan 8, 2021
Hi, Brand new here. But lurked for a while. I need some onions please.

I currently have a Z270 Maximus ix Apex. i5 7600k. 5ghz OC. 2 Msi gtx 970 gaming 4g in sli. I just got gifted a hand me down Threadripper 1920X for Christmas. I'm going to switch to a Ryzen setup. I purchased a X399 board. I'm Waiting for my new case, and some water cooling parts. But I'm essentially just going to swap mobo and cpu, and add more ram. Anyways. My question is this. I have 500 to spend on a gpu currently if I wanted to upgrade. Or I can wait. Looks like currently I can get a new 1660 ti for 400ish. A used 1080 ti for 500ish. Or keep using my 970's until Rtx is more available at not scalper prices. I use my computer for basic photo editing, drone video editing. Basic desktop tasks, And I do light gaming couple days a week if I have time. resident evil, project cars, cod zombies etc.. I hate my sli setup. But it has worked for years and I still get good fps, Albeit the stuttering and crappy sli support and lack of optimization. Anyone have a opinion?

Solution
If you need a GPU now go for a used 1080Ti,if your sli 970's do the job for you,be patient until you can grab a 3000 series card for acceptable price.

danielbrennan0

Reputable
Oct 5, 2017
I would definitely wait at this point. Beyond benchmarks, there are very few games you cannot run well with a 970 as long as it is paired with a good motherboard, good RAM, up to date drivers and fast storage. Since you have two of them in SLI, just make sure the motherboard you buy supports that well. I am running just one with a Skylake Asus maximus board and I have no issues other than not being able to run at ultimate settings in every game. You would be better off investing in fast storage and fast RAM at this point. The prices of GPUs are practically criminal. I mean, seriously, people are selling 2060s and 2060 supers for 750 plus which is completely ridiculous. They should be selling for around 300 tops. It's so bad right now, I would not even bother getting a new card unless you can find one of the new RTX cards at retail price. People selling old 2060s for 750 plus should just go away. We just have to wait it out. Eventually the prices will drop or we will find someone with a decent card for a fair price. For reference, I have an MSI 970 running on a full 16x pci e slot and it performs beautifully. Of course, it all depends on the game you want to play and what effects you want to engage. Personally, I can wait out the scalpers. I am waiting to do a new build when prices become more reasonable and/or whenever I can get my hands on one of the new RTX cards at retail price.