currently have a i7 2600 what would be a good processor upgrade for gaming?

godsmack477

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2014
whatever new processor i get will be paired up with a rtx 2070 mainly using this for PC for gaming and everyday use not sure weather to go for an i5 or i7 and i am some what interested in overclocking. I'm just not sure what processors are good b/c I've been sitting on the 2600 for so long. Im prepared to upgrade to a new motherboard, cpu, and ram, just really not sure what to get.

Current specs
i7 2600 3.4 ghz
Asus p8p67 motherboard
16 gb ram 1600 mhz
Asus r9 290 OC edition (upgrading to rtx 2070)
PSU Corsair CX750M

Solution

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on whether or not you have a 1155 board that allows third gen Ivy Bridge CPUs to be used or not. The RTX 2070 is probably going to be bottlenecked by anything the board can use. Maybe the i7-3770K OC'ed could keep up with it.
You really need to list your system specs.

godsmack477

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2014

The 2600 will be fine with no OC at 1440p 60fps?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Not so sure about that. There will be some bottleneck at times in some games. If that's fine, then yes.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Yeah, I guess when you're getting those kind of fps numbers (not OC'ed), bottleneck can be considered more of a technical issue than a practical one. Still, bottleneck will exist. It's just a matter of whether or not it is important to the OP.

Remember that was with a GTX 1080 ti. It's a more powerful card than the RTX 2070 and by a good margin too. So while the 1% lows will be lower still the averages will be about the same between the i7 2600 and i7 8700K with RTX 2070. And the lows aren't tremendously low anyway. It's not like going from something unplayable to butter smooth. So yeah it's more of a technical issue than a practical one like you said. When I upgrade I want to be able to do things I couldn't already do on my computer. I don't know if that's how the OP feels but I believe a person should only upgrade so that they can do something with the computer that they couldn't have otherwise done without the upgrade. Upgrading now wouldn't give them the ability to do much extra if they went with a 3770k and besides although reduced there might still be a bottleneck even with an overclocked 3770K.

And yeah if the OP wants an i7 3770K then they should go for it. I'd personally rather stick the money back for a newer system and spend it on that as needed than to get a barely noticeable upgrade now. A new CPU isn't quite necessary yet. Wait until it can't run what you want at the settings and fps you want and then upgrade. Save your money for now and when that happens you'll be able to upgrade when you need to.

Solution

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I just stuck a GTX 1070 mini in my old Dell Optiplex 9010 (i5-3570 now, i7-3770 on the way). I'm sure there's bottleneck, but w/o testing for it, I don't notice it. And frame rates are quite a bit better than the GTX 1060 I had in previously produced. At least in most games. So it really is indeeda judgement call on the OP's end.

godsmack477

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2014

I guess i will have to wait and see how my performance is with the 2070 first. I prefer lower 1%s to be as high as possible for the smoothest performance possible without spending money on a TI gpu. My current motherboard also has PCI 2.0 so im probably losing a few fps there as well. If you think the 3700k OC'd is worth sitting on i might just do that and save the money.