Question Currently have AMD Ryzen 5 2600x, 16gm ram, Nvidia GEForce GTZ 1070Ti, experiencing lag and need help upgrading

herc0923

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2013
Hi all--

Actually looking for my son's computer. He plays a ton on Steam, and games like Red Dead Redemption and Hitman 2 are lagging a bit.
Current stats: AMD Ryzen 5 2600x , 16gm ram, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Ti, motherboard is ASUS Prime X470-Pro and power is EVA 750 G3.

What would benefit from an upgrade to help with lag? I know graphics cards are crazy expensive right now, so if you guys tell me that, he's getting a gift card :) Would adding RAM help? Or upgrading the chip?

Thanks in advance!

Hi all--

Actually looking for my son's computer. He plays a ton on Steam, and games like Red Dead Redemption and Hitman 2 are lagging a bit.
Current stats: AMD Ryzen 5 2600x , 16gm ram, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Ti, motherboard is ASUS Prime X470-Pro and power is EVA 750 G3.

What would benefit from an upgrade to help with lag? I know graphics cards are crazy expensive right now, so if you guys tell me that, he's getting a gift card :) Would adding RAM help? Or upgrading the chip?

Thanks in advance!

How are you defining 'lagging'?

Hi all--

Thanks in advance!
Download this.
PC Benchmark

Boot the pc and wait a few mins then run the UBM with the browser closed.
Post a LINK to the results.
Let's see if something shows out of wack.

herc0923

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2013
This was his reply-- "there is sometimes a very sudden frame drop and the frame rate gets inconsistent at higher settings".
Download this.
PC Benchmark

Boot the pc and wait a few mins then run the UBM with the browser closed.
Post a LINK to the results.
Let's see if something shows out of wack.
Oh hang on, that wasn't after a fresh reboot. One second

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
You can get a free performance boost by enabling DOCP for your ram in Bois. Looks like it's running at much lower speeds than it is capable of... DDR4 2133 MHz clocked @ 1067 MHz. Should be running at 3200 mhz clocked @ 1600 Mhz

Changing that should help considerably

herc0923

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2013
You can get a free performance boost by enabling DOCP for your ram in Bois. Looks like it's running at much lower speeds than it is capable of... DDR4 2133 MHz clocked @ 1067 MHz. Should be running at 3200 mhz clocked @ 1600 Mhz

thanks, he was already working on that after the benchmark test, will update with benchmarks after a reboot!

herc0923

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2013

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/48668447 RAM still is performing poorly after enabling DOCP, any thoughts? (I even made him show me where he had changed it in the bios and restart again)

herc0923

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2013
It's kind of important to wait a few mins after the reboot as windows can be quite busy get things done and if you run the benchmark during that time the numbers can be a bit wonky.
I made him restart again after ensuring that he had enabled DOCP and wait a full five minutes-- see the results above. Better, but still not great and RAM is still performing poorly

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
Might want to confirm what timing the ram is running at, if it's the correct timing than that's all you should need to do. If it's incorrect you may have to manually enter in the main timings.

I know when I upgraded my CPU from a 1600x to a 3700x the ram speed rating in usernenchmark went down considerably. Something to do with write speed being halved. It's some thing and did with certain 3 series CPUs, might be the same with the 2 series as well. Although my performance went from 122% on the 1600x to something like 80% with the 3700x...

herc0923

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2013
OK starting to look better.

Cpu got a little bump.
Ram is now at the proper speed.
Are the 2 sticks in the proper slots?.....see the manual

Ram was not in the correct slots, it had gotten moved around about 6 months ago when the computer was stuck in a boot cycle and we were trying to figure out why. Completely forgot that we had moved it. This is how it benchmarked after https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/48670925

Still thinking of getting a bit more ram? Any other suggestions?

Ram was not in the correct slots, it had gotten moved around about 6 months ago when the computer was stuck in a boot cycle and we were trying to figure out why. Completely forgot that we had moved it. This is how it benchmarked after https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/48670925

Still thinking of getting a bit more ram? Any other suggestions?
Ok that got the ram speed up where it should be.

Have your son run the games now and see what the results are.

Post back if still problems.

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
Unless you're running out of ram adding more will make no difference. I've been tempted as well, but 16GB is the goldilocks zone for gaming.

If you wanted to upgrade to 32gb it would be best to buy a complete set, even then performance improvements could be zero, a few fps at most.

View: https://youtu.be/BcJI5H3fQlE

You may want to consider upgrading to a 5600x CPU and selling the old one. Might be close to the same out of pocket with a more apparent and utterly guaranteed performance increase.

On eBay looks like 2600x are selling for around $150, 5600x for around $260.

Last edited:

herc0923

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2013
Unless you're running out of ram adding more will make no difference. I've been tempted as well, but 16GB is the goldilocks zone for gaming.

If you wanted to upgrade to 32gb it would be best to buy a complete set, even then performance improvements could be zero, a few fps at most.

View: https://youtu.be/BcJI5H3fQlE

You may want to consider upgrading to a 5600x CPU and selling the old one. Might be close to the same out of pocket with a more apparent and utterly guaranteed performance increase.

On eBay looks like 2600x are selling for around $150, 5600x for around $260.
would the Ryzen 7 5800 x be better than the 5 5600 x? It looks like a 40-50 dollar difference, but that's not much in the grand scheme of things. And do I need to add RAm to get the full benefit?

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
The 5800x would be better, more cores = more better in my book :) Looks like it makes a few more fps in some games. Only downside is the 5800x can be a warm chip, so just be prepared for that. In terms of RAM, 16BG is totally fine for just about anything you'll need to do. You can certainly bump to 32GB but I don't think you'll find many situations that will make much if any difference.