Question Currently own a 1060, want to upgrade to a 1080ti. Do my specs allow this?

Hunter184

Reputable
Nov 13, 2015
Hey all,

I currently own a 1060 and am looking to upgrade to a 1080ti but I'm not sure if my specs are good enough.

Can someone tell me if the 1080ti will be compatible?

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor
16 GB DDR4
Windows 10
Gigabyte A320M-S2H-CF

Think is all you guys need to know, let me know if it isnt.

Thanks peeps! :D

Last edited:
How much does the 1080 Ti cost? Is it used?

Be aware that the recently released RTX 2070 SUPER offers slightly more performance than a 1080 Ti, plus hardware acceleration for raytraced lighting effects for US $500.

Also, what resolution will you be running? These cards would be overkill at 1080p resolution, where you would be limited by your CPU preformance more than anything, and are probably a better fit for 1440p or higher.

Reactions: King_V

Hunter184

Reputable
Nov 13, 2015
How much does the 1080 Ti cost? Is it used?

Be aware that the recently released RTX 2070 SUPER offers slightly more performance than a 1080 Ti, plus hardware acceleration for raytraced lighting effects for US $500.

Also, what resolution will you be running? These cards would be overkill at 1080p resolution, where you would be limited by your CPU preformance more than anything, and are probably a better fit for 1440p or higher.

I'm really incompetent with these sorts of things so bear with me.

The RTX 2070 Super would work with my current specs or only like, if I run games 1440p? Currently I just run in 1080p I think because, well, I don't really understand that stuff and it's what I'm used to.

Something like a 2070 Super or 1080 Ti would work fine at 1080p, but those cards will be able to push such high frame rates at that resolution that in many games performance may end up being limited more by how many frames per second your CPU can process, so the total available performance of the graphics card might not get utilized in many titles. It's likely that future games will be more graphically demanding though, and things like raytraced lighting effects may make good use of a 2070 Super's rendering capabilities, even though only a few games currently support those.

Also, if your monitor happens to only have a 60Hz refresh rate, it will only be able to update the image 60 times per second anyway, even if your graphics card is pushing out 100+ fps. If you have a high refresh-rate monitor (like 144Hz), it could make better use of the card's capabilities though. What model of screen are you using?

Hunter184

Reputable
Nov 13, 2015
Something like a 2070 Super or 1080 Ti would work fine at 1080p, but those cards will be able to push such high frame rates at that resolution that in many games performance may end up being limited more by how many frames per second your CPU can process, so the total available performance of the graphics card might not get utilized in many titles. It's likely that future games will be more graphically demanding though, and things like raytraced lighting effects may make good use of a 2070 Super's rendering capabilities, even though only a few games currently support those.

Also, if your monitor happens to only have a 60Hz refresh rate, it will only be able to update the image 60 times per second anyway, even if your graphics card is pushing out 100+ fps. If you have a high refresh-rate monitor (like 144Hz), it could make better use of the card's capabilities though. What model of screen are you using?

Hey, appreciate the detailed response!

The current screen that I'm using is an ACER Predator GN246HLBbi (144hz).

I find searching for the right specific graphics card (be it either a 1080ti, 2070 Super etc) pretty overwhelming, given my specs... which specific model of either graphics card should I be getting?

You do have a 144Hz screen, so in games that are relatively demanding on the graphics card, and less demanding on the CPU, a high-end card like a 2070 SUPER might potentially be worth considering. Again, between the 2070 Super and the 1080 Ti, unless the 1080 Ti were priced lower, the 2070 Super would probably be the better option due to its similar level of performance along with RTX support.

The 2060 SUPER, 2070, and Radeon 5700XT might also be worth considering. Those cards typically offer performance roughly in between a 1080 and a 1080 Ti, and can currently be found for $100+ less than a 2070 SUPER, with prices starting around US $400. The 2070 is slightly faster than the 2060 SUPER, and the Radeon 5700 XT tends to be slightly faster still, but lacks hardware to accelerate raytraced lighting effects, though only a few games currently support those, and they tend to significantly impact performance when enabled. In any case, if you were to go with a 5700XT, I would wait a few weeks for cards with better coolers to come out, since that card is new and currently only reference designs with blower-style coolers are available, and those tend to run hot.

For a rough idea of how the performance of these cards compares to your current card, you can check this chart from a recent 5700 XT review...

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt/28.html

Cards around this performance level can offer around twice the performance of your 1060, at least when not limited by CPU performance, which will be the case for some games at 1080p. Keep in mind, the test system they used to get these results is outfitted with a high-end i9-9900K CPU and fast RAM, reducing CPU limitations somewhat more than what you'll see. Also, these charts only represent average frame rates, and minimums can vary from one card to the next, but aren't listed here. And of course, results can vary from game to game, and these results are based on just 21 recent titles.

Edit: Oh, and as for specific models of a given card, it usually doesn't tend to matter too much. The small differences in clock speed from one factory-overclocked model to the next tend to be insignificant. About the only thing to consider is the cooler, as some models with larger coolers can potentially run cooler and quieter than others. And perhaps the warranty is worth noting, as I would personally want a card with a 3-year warranty around this price range. Aside from those considerations, it's usually a good option to go with one of the lower-price models, as paying more typically doesn't get you significantly more performance.

Last edited: