Currupt Files and BSOD's - Will Pay Money For Solution!!

Jon Sheehan

Honorable
May 14, 2013
I have been dealing with this for two months. I have spent hours on Google trying to find somebody with a similar solution (which I have) and a fix for it (which I haven't). I thought it was a heating problem. I bought a new heatsink and three new fans. That didn't fix it. Here's my problem. I get a BSOD just about once a day. It happens so randomly, but mainly when streaming Hulu (not Netflix), when operating in Photoshop, or playing Counter Strike. It's not limited to those three, but that's the most common. Whenever I download a file (usually .rar), the file is always corrupt. I have my main OS on an SSD, with 2 other harddrives as storage. I got the SSD back in September and wasn't having any issues. I replaced my motherboard and processor in December, and to be honest, that's about the time these errors started. I don't know if it's an incompatible video card, memory, or what.

Motherboard: ASRock FM2A85X Extreme6 FM2 AMD A85X (Hudson D4) SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD

Processor: AMD A10-5800K Trinity 3.8GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 100W Quad-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU)
- Could it be that since the processor/mobo combines for some onboard video that it's crashing my actual video card?

Video Card: SAPPHIRE 100314SR Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16

4 Sticks Crucial Ballistix Sport 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT51264BA160A

Power Supply - APEVIA ATX-AQ700W-BK 700W ATX12V / EPS12V

I consider myself a pretty tech-savvy fella. I built this computer, usually have been able to fix any problem. I did a clean install of windows, I ran memtest, I again installed windows, I've cooled my case down, I've done every thing I can think of. I'm about to just sell all the parts and start from scratch because I have tried and tried and tried and just cannot fix this problem.

PLEASE! If anybody can solve it I'll pay $20 PayPal.

I can't figure out how to attach a file, so here is the dropbox link to minidumps:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wlkrjd6xxkkemzi/Minidump.zip?v=0rc-c

caydn12

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3001-8022_4-10804572.html?spi=5969e2ae1e13da43ecd9ba35a9563258&part=dl-10804572

Click that link. Download the file. Run through the installer, and boot up the program. Do a quick scan with that program. If it detects anything have it removed.

My guess is it could very well be a computer virus, so try it out and see if it works.

EDIT:

Just saw that you did a fresh install of windows so cancel that. Let me do a little researching real quick here.

Edit #2:

What are your video card's drivers?

Edit #3 (lots of edits)

Have you tried unplugging one of your hard drives?
Unplug on and try to intentionally have it BSOD. Then if it does, plug it back in, and unplug your other hard drive. Maybe one of them is corrupt. Lots of possibilities. Just work with trial and error.

Also, have you run through MemTest?

caydn12

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013

Go to start menu
Type in CCC
Open CCC
Go to the "Information" tab at the bottom
Click "Software"
It will say: Catalyst version: XX.X <----- That is your driver version

From what I've read, it all points to hardware. I didn't look at the minidumps but if they point to system files then I am going to have to say it's that firecracker you call your psu. It's probably not giving stable power screwing up everything.

Jon Sheehan

Honorable
May 14, 2013
13.1 is the catalyst version.

@ur6beersaway, it was disabled, but I just enabled it.

@k1114 - It could be the PSU, but I've had it since 2010 and never have had a problem with it, however now with a new processor and a new motherboard, it could be causing some kind of conflict?

Jon Sheehan

Honorable
May 14, 2013
If that is going to be the case and solution, it would make sense. When I got the SSD - my old motherboard could have automatically set itself to enable that, or possibly I did at the time when I first got it and was reading up on it. When I replaced the motherboard, the new one may not have defaulted to that and/or I just didn't set it correctly, forgetting that was a step. I'll load up Hulu and Counterstrike and Photoshop and see what happens!

@caydn12 - I did try unplugging and replugging hard drives - no avail.

caydn12

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013

My honest guess is that its the AHCI. It is definitely a necessity for an SSD. Im honestly very surprised you were able to boot without it enabled in the first place! LOL

Jon Sheehan

Honorable
May 14, 2013
So far so good, just giving it a few days to be 100% sure that we're all fixed up! If it was something so easy (which it appears to be) I'm going to punch myself in the throat. Literally been trying to fix this since January. Will report back in a day or two HOPEFULLY with no BSOD's and then a request for 6beers paypal :)

Jon Sheehan

Honorable
May 14, 2013
Had been perfect for 2 or 3 days and bluescreened on me twice today. The problem is though the monitors just go all crazy and it shuts off without actually even giving me a blue screen.

Jon Sheehan

Honorable
May 14, 2013
Had been perfect for 2 or 3 days and bluescreened on me twice today. The problem is though the monitors just go all crazy and it shuts off without actually even giving me a blue screen.

caydn12

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
I was waiting for this to happen..
I have heard through the grape vine.. If you install an OS without AHCI enabled, if you enable it later, it won't fix it. You actually have to reinstall the OS with the AHCI enabled. This is just what ive heard.

Jon Sheehan

Honorable
May 14, 2013
Damnit I did read that a few days ago when it originally looked like everything was going to be good to go... but was crossing my fingers. Today when it happened I had completely forgot that I had read that... Well... I'm going to bank on that being the right answer, and one day get around to reinstalling Windows...I've done that like 8 times in the past 5 months it's getting old! Hopefully this will take care of all my problems.

Jon Sheehan

Honorable
May 14, 2013
Well, I installed Windows 8 (And what a nightmare it was, had a corrupt Windows 8 ISO which I found out AFTER I formatted)...

Anyway, was up and running for about 5 hours before it BSOD's (Unexpected Kernal Trap)

Jon Sheehan

Honorable
May 14, 2013
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1knwij3rserctis/MiniDump%206-4-2013.zip

16 BSOD's since the 23rd. I feel like it's worse in Windows 8, but either way, still so frustrating.

Offer still stands for payment, at this point I'm about to just buy a whole new setup. I want to say it's something with the processor and the motherboard. I just read on an AMD site that FM2 socket processors might require a BIOS update in the motherboard. I tried to update my BIOS and it didn't work, had to clear my CMOS just to get back into Windows.

If anyone has any ideas please share!

After you installed w8 what other software did you install? After the bios update did you make sure to set it back to ahci? Did you install all mobo drivers from the manufacturers site? How long did you run memtest? Which test did you do? Do you have other parts to swap out to test each component? Check to see if any cpu pins are bent.

All the minidumps point to a hardware issue, we just need to figure out which.

Jon Sheehan

Honorable
May 14, 2013

Sorry that it's been forever, I just got back from vacation. I don't tend to install much software after a fresh install. Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop, Internet Download Manager and iTunes are basically it. I've had these install files for 7-8 months so I don't think that's it.

I wasn't able to update the BIOS, I tried to, but just about bricked my machine and had to reset CMOS, and the update didn't go through.

I haven't installed any motherboard drivers.

I don't have any spare pieces of equipment to swap out and test with, and I checked the CPU pins and they're fine.

I don't remember memtest, I ran it back in January, but I did run it for a hot minute.