Cursor Disappears

alex

Hello,

I have just recently been having this problem. When I boot up my Windows 98
SE computer I am presented with the "Enter Network Password for Microsoft
Networking" screen. At this moment my cursor disappears. Even if I use the
keyboard to select okay or cancel, the cursor does not reappear. I'd rather
boot up without this enter password thing as I haven't entered a password. I
tried booting the computer up in Safe Mode and my cursor worked fine. I even
tried shutting down all the other stuff except the systemtray in msconfig,
and I'm still having this problem. It seemed to start after I tried
reinstalling my video card driver. Any and all help would be greatly
appreciated.

The problem seems pretty obvious. Those video drivers you installed aren't
the right ones. Go back to your previous ones if you can, or find better
ones.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

"Alex" <Alex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have just recently been having this problem. When I boot up my Windows
> 98
> SE computer I am presented with the "Enter Network Password for Microsoft
> Networking" screen. At this moment my cursor disappears. Even if I use
> the
> keyboard to select okay or cancel, the cursor does not reappear. I'd
> rather
> boot up without this enter password thing as I haven't entered a password.
> tried booting the computer up in Safe Mode and my cursor worked fine. I
> even
> tried shutting down all the other stuff except the systemtray in msconfig,
> and I'm still having this problem. It seemed to start after I tried
> reinstalling my video card driver. Any and all help would be greatly
> appreciated.

Philo

"Alex" <Alex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have just recently been having this problem. When I boot up my Windows
98
> SE computer I am presented with the "Enter Network Password for Microsoft
> Networking" screen. At this moment my cursor disappears. Even if I use
the
> keyboard to select okay or cancel, the cursor does not reappear. I'd
rather
> boot up without this enter password thing as I haven't entered a password.
> tried booting the computer up in Safe Mode and my cursor worked fine. I
even
> tried shutting down all the other stuff except the systemtray in msconfig,
> and I'm still having this problem. It seemed to start after I tried
> reinstalling my video card driver. Any and all help would be greatly
> appreciated.

I had a similar problem due to video card/driver problems
Why not go back to the original driver you were using for your video card

alex

Thank you very much for the answers. I agree removing the drivers would seem
the most obvious, in fact I did just that. Right now Device manager lists
simply the generic Windows 98 driver, yet I'm still having the same problem.
Any further advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Alex

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> The problem seems pretty obvious. Those video drivers you installed aren't
> the right ones. Go back to your previous ones if you can, or find better
> ones.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS-MVP Shell/User
>
> "Alex" <Alex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have just recently been having this problem. When I boot up my Windows
> > 98
> > SE computer I am presented with the "Enter Network Password for Microsoft
> > Networking" screen. At this moment my cursor disappears. Even if I use
> > the
> > keyboard to select okay or cancel, the cursor does not reappear. I'd
> > rather
> > boot up without this enter password thing as I haven't entered a password.
> > tried booting the computer up in Safe Mode and my cursor worked fine. I
> > even
> > tried shutting down all the other stuff except the systemtray in msconfig,
> > and I'm still having this problem. It seemed to start after I tried
> > reinstalling my video card driver. Any and all help would be greatly
> > appreciated.

You're taking about the video drivers? (aka Display drivers?) Sounds to me
like you're talking about the monitor drivers. The only generic drivers in
Win98 for video/display are named things like "Standard VGA" and are easily
recognized as being installed because they offer only the most basic
configurations--low resolution, low color density, etc. Whereas the most
typical driver you'll find in Windows for monitors is "Plug & Play" generic
drivers. There often *are* proprietary drivers available for monitors, but
they're seldom necessary and seldom actually used in Windows 98 and above.

Regardless, you can't uninstall drivers, You have to either uninstall the
device entirely, and then prevent Windows from automatically reinstalling
the device if necessary, or you install different drivers to replace the
existing ones.

Please go here and download Everest Home Edition. www.lavalys.som
Run Everest and see what it says you have for a "Display" or "Video" device.

Also, if possible, describe the drivers you installed and where you got it
from.

--

> Thank you very much for the answers. I agree removing the drivers would
> seem
> the most obvious, in fact I did just that. Right now Device manager lists
> simply the generic Windows 98 driver, yet I'm still having the same
> problem.
> Any further advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
>
> -Alex
>
> "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
>
>> The problem seems pretty obvious. Those video drivers you installed
>> aren't
>> the right ones. Go back to your previous ones if you can, or find better
>> ones.
>>
>> --
>> Gary S. Terhune
>> MS-MVP Shell/User
>>
>> "Alex" <Alex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I have just recently been having this problem. When I boot up my
>> > Windows
>> > 98
>> > SE computer I am presented with the "Enter Network Password for
>> > Microsoft
>> > Networking" screen. At this moment my cursor disappears. Even if I
>> > use
>> > the
>> > keyboard to select okay or cancel, the cursor does not reappear. I'd
>> > rather
>> > boot up without this enter password thing as I haven't entered a
>> > password.
>> > tried booting the computer up in Safe Mode and my cursor worked fine.
>> > even
>> > tried shutting down all the other stuff except the systemtray in
>> > msconfig,
>> > and I'm still having this problem. It seemed to start after I tried
>> > reinstalling my video card driver. Any and all help would be greatly
>> > appreciated.

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 15:59:01 -0700, "Alex"
<Alex@discussions.microsoft.com> put finger to keyboard and composed:

>I have just recently been having this problem. When I boot up my Windows 98
>SE computer I am presented with the "Enter Network Password for Microsoft
>Networking" screen. At this moment my cursor disappears. Even if I use the
>keyboard to select okay or cancel, the cursor does not reappear. I'd rather
>boot up without this enter password thing as I haven't entered a password. I
>tried booting the computer up in Safe Mode and my cursor worked fine. I even
>tried shutting down all the other stuff except the systemtray in msconfig,
>and I'm still having this problem. It seemed to start after I tried
>reinstalling my video card driver. Any and all help would be greatly
>appreciated.

As others have said, you need to install a different video driver. You
can identify the graphics chipset by looking at the card. Otherwise,
including those cases where the graphics is integrated into the
motherboard, you can watch the POST screen for the info just prior to
boot. Or you can query the BIOS using DOS Debug, as follows:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips/msg/b2818b16547f4171?dmode=source&hl=en
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips/msg/f4f87343f625f536?dmode=source&hl=en

-- Franc Zabkar