[SOLVED] Cursor drift and weird stuff

foxhound525

Commendable
Mar 14, 2020
I have spent 8 hours trying to figure out wtf is going on an I am still at a total loss.

Opened my laptop for work today, and suddenly the mouse cursor is drifting up and right on its own (forever, it doesn't stop), and the trackpad doesn't work.

Uninstalled and resinstalled the drivers, then I lost left click functionality. Cursor still drifting.

I have tried;
  • virus scan
  • Clean boot
  • safe mode
  • sfc scan now
  • startup repair
  • windows hardware error checking tool
  • disabling the trackpad and touchpad in windows (neither stops drift, no option to disable in the bios)
  • windows updates
  • reinstalling drivers directly from lenovo using the utility and manually

None of them worked, except once where a clean boot restored touchpad funtionality (although it would cut out for a bit then come back), but the other time I did the same thing, cursor drift and no touchpad. It often start slow and then builds to a certain speed of drift that it will maintain.

No updates occured between the dates that it worked fine and didn't, havent so much as moved it other than opening and closing the lid. Occasionally the screen shows a volume down key as if I am spamming that button while I'm nowhere near it too. USB mouse works but the cursor still drifts infinitely as its being used and when not in use.

Any ideas anyone?
HELP

Win 7 professional x64
Lenovo L530
16GB RAM
1TB HDD

foxhound525

Commendable
Mar 14, 2020
Right. And that's likely the direct cause of the problem.

You should be able to disable it from the bios menu. That should solve the problem.
I'm probably not being very clear here. So the laptop has a track point mode thing, and a touch pad. The former works almost all the time (but its left and right clicks wont work), whereas the latter works sometimes, and depending on what mood it's in, sometimes the left click button will work, othertimes nothing.

Last time I booted into my laptop, the touchpad would work perfectly for a bit, then cut out and on and off etc. So the hardware works but as of today not consistently. Which Is a complete mystery as it worked flawlessly yesterday.

I did try to disable the touch/track things in bios, but there simply weren't any options for it.

foxhound525

Commendable
Mar 14, 2020
Try to google for "Lenovo L530 disable trackpad" - it would be very odd if you cannot find a recipe for that.
I have already googled it, and tried it. There's an option to disable EITHER the trackpoint or the touchpad (can't disable both) in windows but neither has any effect. In the Bios there are no options to disable either of them.
QwYydP.jpg

Last edited: