Cursor moving randomly by itself

Tuomas014

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014
My cursor sometimes starts to spaz out randomly for about a minute. It moves up and down, clicks everything, closes winwows, zooms in and out.
Anyone who is familiar with this problem? I had it with my last computer and now with my new one suggesting a mouse problem. I use 2 different wireless mice and it doesnt matter which it still happens. With my last computer it helped when I shut down the keypad real quick but with my new computer I dont know yet. Turning the mouse off while the freaky out of control moving happens doesnt do anything, it still does it for a minute or two.

Happened with Win 7 and now with Win 8.1. My laptops have been Lenovo, current one is y510p

This doesnt ruin it for me so bad that I would send my laptop back to the dealer, because it happens like 2-4 times a day. Regardless if anyone knows why this is occuring I would apriciate the help.

emphatico

Reputable
Nov 15, 2014
[ This response only applies to laptops, or users with pressure sensitive input devices attached to their system. ]

It usually isn't the mouse itself.

With this kind of problem, most security conscious users will...
- first disconnect the mouse
- maybe try several other mice
- then disconnect the network cable or disable the wireless connection
- then uninstall & re-install the mouse drivers
- then repeat all of these steps in safe mode
- then start looking for a malicious script or program running in the background
...and finally start doing reality checks to see if they're losing their mind!

(TIP: Do try all of ^ those ^ first, or just skip to the next ideas...)

Yes, as some have indicated, it _is_ usually a problem with the trackpad/touchpad. BUT: as good as something like TouchFreeze (a program which stops trackpad input while the user is typing) is - using it only solves this kind of problem very temporarily.

Think about it...soon after you stop typing, the cursor starts moving and clicking again as if it's possessed! (And, I suppose, that MIGHT also be a possibility, but probably not anything that most people need to worry about!)

The problem is _usually_ a physical issue right on the touchpad itself. Either somethings stuck to the surface, or prior abuse/wear & tear, or a problem between the pressure-sensitive layers of the touchpad.

The best fix(es) for this issue? Surprisingly simple. Once you've ruled out the neighbourhood script kiddie, the criminal hacking community, a rogue program/driver...you might want to spray some (non-corrosive!) cleaning fluid on the trackpad (or - even spit!), and rub the pad vigourously for a few seconds. This may only solve the problem temporarily - or even make it much worse - but if it changes the results, you've proven that the issue is physical.

Now: If it goes away and stays away...so much the better. If not, then either plan to replace the trackpad, or "simply" disconnect it by unplugging the power leads to it, which would be found below the laptop cover. [ Sorry folks - you'll have to check elsewhere for the instructions on how to safely dismantle the cover on your laptop...but the cursor will no longer have you cursing! ]

A simple fix for a pesky problem which looks like something much more complicated and sinister!

Cheers.