[SOLVED] Curved monitor vs Flat monitor for day to day activities (surfing net, youtube etc besides just gaming)

fragment0

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2015
Good day,

Spent a bunch of time now seeking info on differences between the two kinds, kind of have an idea now, but am still not too sure curved would fit me well after spending all of my life with flat monitors.

Current one im using is a 144hz ASUS VG248 1MS 24" (had it for over 5 years now) and am happy with it, but am either looking for another ASUS 144 or 165hz as most of those 240hz once still seem to be quite expensive and I can still not make up my mind on whether or not to give a curved one a try as I found now a 240hz 27" MSI monitor that can be looked up here https://www.amazon.ca/MSI-Non-Glare-Adjustment-Optix-MAG272CRX/dp/B082QKFJ9V/ref=sr_1_1?crid=12DVZ19RU8A5N&dchild=1&keywords=msi+240hz+monitor&qid=1624029303&sprefix=msi+240hz,aps,166&sr=8-1 its at $399 now, same as on newegg it looks like, and I just dont know whether or not to try it out.

I am planning to game on it for hours and hours when i have the time, mainly on weekends, but I will use that monitor for day to day activities every single day, just browsing, surfing the net, watching youtube, netflix, reading or whatever the case might be, and im wondering if someone could share their experience on whether or not its curve would contribute to a poor viewing experience or just doing basic surfing on the net, chatting with people, replying on forums, and just doign general non-gaming activities or if its only good for gaming. Most info I found is ppl talking bout how immersive and good it is for gaming, so that part I already understood, but I wonder if anyone could give a clue as to whether or not i might not feel comfortable in my eyes or if its gonna feel as if the display is not flat when im just reading something off of the net, which could bug me and stuff like that. I know it all depends on a person and one might not like it while the other will, but is there anyone that maybe has a curved monitor and could contribute some general info as to whether or not i shall not see a dissapointment in the curve part of it and i shall feel the same as if its a flat monitor when working on it? My eyes wont need to move left and right following the curve? I only have one monitor and wontneed another one, so this will be the monitor to buy if i make up my mind, id appreciate some ideas or experiences you have with curved monitors around 27" and lower.

I guess the main question will it feel natural when doing day to day activities on it without being distructed by its curves left/right and the curve just acts as an additional benefit for gaming purposes yet I shall feel the same and not see a visual difference jsut surfing the net if it makes sense? dont even know how to phraze it properly :)

Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
My take is this....IF you are going to go 27" (or larger), go 2K+ on the resolution.
I am an old dude. I purchased a flat 27" 1080p monitor a few years ago, it was a Samsung and was priced too well to pass on. Even with old man eyes (and getting worse) there was always a "fuzziness" about it that was distracting. If you mean to stay 1080, I recommend staying 24".

I replaced my 27 flat with a 27 curved 2K 144hz from AOC.

I had previously been using two monitors, which were both flat...the aforementioned 27 and a 24 for second screen (paperwork and such). When I moved to the curved screen it was just an OCD bug for me not to have them match as far as curve vs flat. I considered another curved or maybe two, but the desktop space needed...

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
My take is this....IF you are going to go 27" (or larger), go 2K+ on the resolution.
I am an old dude. I purchased a flat 27" 1080p monitor a few years ago, it was a Samsung and was priced too well to pass on. Even with old man eyes (and getting worse) there was always a "fuzziness" about it that was distracting. If you mean to stay 1080, I recommend staying 24".

I replaced my 27 flat with a 27 curved 2K 144hz from AOC.

I had previously been using two monitors, which were both flat...the aforementioned 27 and a 24 for second screen (paperwork and such). When I moved to the curved screen it was just an OCD bug for me not to have them match as far as curve vs flat. I considered another curved or maybe two, but the desktop space needed was far too much.
I ended up adjusting my scale and font sizes and eliminating the second screen in favor of split screen work format. The 2K allowed the resolution and space to do so without cutting off information along the sides of pages (like for instance the stuff to the left of gmail or calendar).
Most of all, everything is crisp and sharp instead of slightly fuzzy.

As to the curve. I like it. I sit directly in front of and within a couple feet of my screen. I like that it rarely reflects anything behind me in the daytime bright room. I don't have to share off angle viewing positions (which look funny on a curve) so it's worked out really well for me on this particular application. Very happy I went curved.

EDIT- of note, be sure that you are selecting a monitor with either FreeSync or Gsync (or compatible) based on your GPU. Most of the monitors out there are FreeSync or V Sync. The actual Gsync (nvidia) sets are VERY high priced but also hear quite worthwhile. Nvidia has a listing of "compatible" monitors that get the nod to work with Gsync. The one I selected is and it's a worlds difference so long as you stay above ~50FPS (I think the limit is 48 IIRC). If you drop below that frame rate even for a moment it induces a hefty lag...

Solution

Endre

Reputable
Good day,

Spent a bunch of time now seeking info on differences between the two kinds, kind of have an idea now, but am still not too sure curved would fit me well after spending all of my life with flat monitors.

Current one im using is a 144hz ASUS VG248 1MS 24" (had it for over 5 years now) and am happy with it, but am either looking for another ASUS 144 or 165hz as most of those 240hz once still seem to be quite expensive and I can still not make up my mind on whether or not to give a curved one a try as I found now a 240hz 27" MSI monitor that can be looked up here https://www.amazon.ca/MSI-Non-Glare-Adjustment-Optix-MAG272CRX/dp/B082QKFJ9V/ref=sr_1_1?crid=12DVZ19RU8A5N&dchild=1&keywords=msi+240hz+monitor&qid=1624029303&sprefix=msi+240hz,aps,166&sr=8-1 its at $399 now, same as on newegg it looks like, and I just dont know whether or not to try it out.

I am planning to game on it for hours and hours when i have the time, mainly on weekends, but I will use that monitor for day to day activities every single day, just browsing, surfing the net, watching youtube, netflix, reading or whatever the case might be, and im wondering if someone could share their experience on whether or not its curve would contribute to a poor viewing experience or just doing basic surfing on the net, chatting with people, replying on forums, and just doign general non-gaming activities or if its only good for gaming. Most info I found is ppl talking bout how immersive and good it is for gaming, so that part I already understood, but I wonder if anyone could give a clue as to whether or not i might not feel comfortable in my eyes or if its gonna feel as if the display is not flat when im just reading something off of the net, which could bug me and stuff like that. I know it all depends on a person and one might not like it while the other will, but is there anyone that maybe has a curved monitor and could contribute some general info as to whether or not i shall not see a dissapointment in the curve part of it and i shall feel the same as if its a flat monitor when working on it? My eyes wont need to move left and right following the curve? I only have one monitor and wontneed another one, so this will be the monitor to buy if i make up my mind, id appreciate some ideas or experiences you have with curved monitors around 27" and lower.

I guess the main question will it feel natural when doing day to day activities on it without being distructed by its curves left/right and the curve just acts as an additional benefit for gaming purposes yet I shall feel the same and not see a visual difference jsut surfing the net if it makes sense? dont even know how to phraze it properly :)

Thanks

If reading text is one of your main activities, then 4K resolution is a must-have!
After seeing text & videos on a 4K display, there’s no going back!
But gaming in 4K takes a lot of “horse power”! Be prepared for that too!