Curved monitors and TVs: Wouldn't they introduce distortion?

I have seen several articles / announcements of curved displays, for example, http://www.tomshardware.com/news/se790c-monitor-display-gaming-curved,28257.html .

But something makes no sense to me. If the image is recorded for display on a flat surface, then wouldn't the curve introduce distortion? A point that's 27 degrees to the left of your center on a flat screen would be a different angle off center if you wrap the screen without adjusting the source image. Fewer degrees, I would think.

So wouldn't that distort the image?

Solution
Everything I have read about curved screens is that they are a gimmick. As to your point, you really need to be sitting in the optimal position to reap whatever benefit is intended. We have a domed IMAX screen near me, and after seeing Interstellar there at an off-angle, I'm really wishing I had gone to one of the regular flat screen IMAX theaters. The distortion of the picture was very distracting.

The idea with IMAX is that the screen is wider than your field of vision, so the dome is representative of your normal range of vision, but only if you are placed at the optimal/central viewing point. With a curved TV screen, it's much smaller than your field of vision, so I'm not sure what exactly they are trying to prove.
Everything I have read about curved screens is that they are a gimmick. As to your point, you really need to be sitting in the optimal position to reap whatever benefit is intended. We have a domed IMAX screen near me, and after seeing Interstellar there at an off-angle, I'm really wishing I had gone to one of the regular flat screen IMAX theaters. The distortion of the picture was very distracting.

The idea with IMAX is that the screen is wider than your field of vision, so the dome is representative of your normal range of vision, but only if you are placed at the optimal/central viewing point. With a curved TV screen, it's much smaller than your field of vision, so I'm not sure what exactly they are trying to prove.

Solution