[SOLVED] Curved or Flat monitor for gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 21, 2022
i want to purchase a new monitor i shortlist Odyssey g7 qhd 240hz curved monitor but i never used any curved monitor in my life , so i need some tips here, which type of monitor i should go for it I play rpg games like skyrim,dark souls and farcry, dota 2 type games.

Solution
i have both a curved and flat screen on my desk and honestly there is little difference once i got used to it.

i don't notice the curve anymore but the viewing angle is slightly different with the sides aimed inward toward me. i like it but would not pay a lot of extra cash for it. my screen is an AOC C24G1 which i got for a great price on sale. otherwise i would have not bothered.

i could see a benefit if you gamed on multiple curved screens but never done it to try out that theory

and just FYI curved screens are just as fast as flat ones from what i have seen. mine is 144 hz :)

4745454b

Titan
My standard advice when dealing with things you personally interface with, keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc, is to try it out yourself. What works for me or others might not work for you.

The biggest issue with curved screens is the viewing angle. A curved monitor I could see doing. A TV where many want to watch it not so much. I'm not sure if curved screens can hit 144Hz or higher. The best screens might be flat. If however you deem 120Hz with 5ms TN panel good enough and you find a curved one with those stats or better and you like how they look then get one. I suggest looking at a demo model first to make sure you like it.

Reactions: Lakshya01

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i have both a curved and flat screen on my desk and honestly there is little difference once i got used to it.

i don't notice the curve anymore but the viewing angle is slightly different with the sides aimed inward toward me. i like it but would not pay a lot of extra cash for it. my screen is an AOC C24G1 which i got for a great price on sale. otherwise i would have not bothered.

i could see a benefit if you gamed on multiple curved screens but never done it to try out that theory

and just FYI curved screens are just as fast as flat ones from what i have seen. mine is 144 hz :)

Reactions: Lakshya01
Solution

4745454b

Titan
Flat ones can hit 240. I don't think I've seen curved ones do that. To be honest I'm not sure how fast they are these days. Been a long time since I've looked at them.

It's actually really bad. You can't line them up very well, and the curves make it so you can't see things. A curved Eyefinity display would be horrible. Even two of them side by side isn't anything I'd try.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
interesting, not tried it myself just figured the curves would keep the field of view tighter but i guess not.

not really looked into how fast they get either. just ran into the sale last year and went for it :) i'm plenty happy with 144 hz for what i play since they are not dependent on fast frames anyway

edit: a quick look at newegg shows 240 hz curved screens at various resolutions. good to know for future reference

Reactions: 4745454b

4745454b

Titan
As I said, I looked at them for a bit. Haven't in a long time. I don't know if there are any VA type panels, or how fast they are.

I'm with you. 144Hz is plenty fast. If the price is right and it looks good, I'll gladly take a 144Hz sync panel. To me even that fast is mostly a gimick. 240Hz? Really? Just get a good one that looks good to you.

May 20, 2021
i want to purchase a new monitor i shortlist Odyssey g7 qhd 240hz curved monitor but i never used any curved monitor in my life , so i need some tips here, which type of monitor i should go for it I play rpg games like skyrim,dark souls and farcry, dota 2 type games.
As per my experience, curved screens are overrated and if you play multiplayer games, please don't go for it. Just get a flat screen with good refresh rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.