Curved or Gsync

May 6, 2018
I am looking at two monitors, they are the same, exept one have Gsync and is flat, and the other have freesync (basically no sync) and is curved. Or no curve or gsync for cheaper.
Here are the names:
ASUS MG278Q
Dell S2716DG
MAG27CQ

Edit (1): Just saw that the Dell dont have a good contrast ratio, isnt that important enough to not buy it?

Solution
Curved monitors below, say, 32" to 34" ultrawides are gimmicky, imho. Below those numbers, you can't really feel the curve and the benefits it supposedly provides. As for the G-Sync, if you have an Nvidia card it's a smart move to get one, it will provide buttery smooth frame rates.
It eliminates screen tearing and the need for software alternatives such as Vsync. G-Sync eliminates said screen tearing by forcing a video display to adapt to the framerate of the outputting device, in this case it's your 1070 graphics card.

zoltan.boese

Estimable
Jan 30, 2018
1000:1 contrast ratio is normal for TN panel, high refresh rate monitors.

Curvature gives you no advantage. You can get used to it quickly, but even at 27", it is no game changer.

G-Sync, as others before me has emphasised, gives you smooth frames and refresh. It is good for you eyes and gives you a better gaming experience. I´d rather take the monitor with g-sync!

May 6, 2018

now you raised another question: Am i better off with 4ms IPS/VA, or 1ms TN

May 6, 2018

1070 i guess (i isn't bought yet, but that is what i am going for) And yes, but 21:9 monitors are worse, unless you play like 1100$ (Denmark is so expensive bc of taxes and stuff)

Get 1080p G-Sync monitor instead of 1440p monitor if you are going with GTX1070. If you save enough money by choosing 1080p G-Sync over 1440p G-Sync spend that money to get GTX1070Ti or even better GTX1080. But for some reason you wanna stick with GTX1070 I recommend going for 1080p monitor.

zoltan.boese

Estimable
Jan 30, 2018

If you play fast pace first person shooters, the 144Hz refresh rate and 1ms latency is better. If you play RPGs, colour accuracy and contrast is more important than dazing speed, it is the VA panel. So it depends on your use case. For $300 you can have both as long as you are ok with fullHD!

May 6, 2018

Where we come to the problem, im not.

May 6, 2018

I wanna play both actually, so thats why im a bit f***ed

May 6, 2018

But even in first person shooter, dont i really need the 2000+:1 contrast ratio, the dell one is like 760:1, if i remember right, so now, can i pick IPS/VA with good screen and stuff, but 4ms response, can i survive that?

May 6, 2018
That is true, but the monitor, ram and gpu is the only thing im buying used, and it would be a bit of a waste, if i made my dad drive me a long time to the place, and i end up not liking it... Unless i can be lucky and go to one of my local stores (there is 2), and see if there is something of similar specs where u can try it.

May 6, 2018

Under your name it says motherboard expert, i could as well on the go ask if the MSI Z370 carbon AC is a good buy?

ritvarsdavis

Notable
Sep 11, 2017
Well, imho, curved monitors are gimmicky and aren't worth the money. I'm sure that Dell one is the best you can get out of the 3. It has G-Sync which your 1070 will take advantage off. And don't be put off by contrast ratio. I don't think one can define a displays quality just by its contrast ratio. My 2 cents.

Maybe you can find some reassurance here about it - http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-3297978/contrast-ratio.html

Edit: It's somewhat decent, but cheaper and a better option would be ASrock Z370 Extreme4. From the top of my head, I think it's 20£ or so cheaper and is a better overclocker. https://hardwarepick.com/motherboards/asrock-z370-extreme4-vs-msi-z370-gaming-pro-carbon-ac/

ritvarsdavis

Notable
Sep 11, 2017
Curved monitors below, say, 32" to 34" ultrawides are gimmicky, imho. Below those numbers, you can't really feel the curve and the benefits it supposedly provides. As for the G-Sync, if you have an Nvidia card it's a smart move to get one, it will provide buttery smooth frame rates.
It eliminates screen tearing and the need for software alternatives such as Vsync. G-Sync eliminates said screen tearing by forcing a video display to adapt to the framerate of the outputting device, in this case it's your 1070 graphics card.

Solution