News Custom 410W GeForce RTX 3090 Brings The Bling And The Heat

TheHughMan

Prominent
May 15, 2020
Now would be a good time to design and install some kind of built in power supply on the back of the video card. What's one more interface with the 4 or 5 already there.

Conahl

Commendable
Apr 24, 2020
heh, 3dfx tried that with the voodoo 5 6000, and back then people laughed and thought 3dfx was crazy cause they were going to make a video card that needed to be powered by something other then the slot it was put in. in a way, to bad 3dfx wasnt able to release Rampage and Sage, back then they sounded like they would be pretty good. :)

410 watts on air cooling is insane ... this card should be watercooled only.
It’s only roughly 20% more than some of the 3080’s which have been running cooler than last gen cards. I do see why it’s concerning but seeing how well the 3080 coolers are working I can see this might just be with reasonable levels. Would like to be is reviewed and benchmarked.

Reactions: King_V

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
It’s only roughly 20% more than some of the 3080’s which have been running cooler than last gen cards. I do see why it’s concerning but seeing how well the 3080 coolers are working I can see this might just be with reasonable levels. Would like to be is reviewed and benchmarked.

I am not talking about benchmarks , I am talking about Power usage , 410 watts is too much for any air cooling no matter what.

I am not talking about benchmarks , I am talking about Power usage , 410 watts is too much for any air cooling no matter what.
It’s too much just because you say it is? If the benchmarks show it runs ok at decent temperatures then that’s all that matters. As I said it’s not that much higher than some partner 3080’s so I would not be too surprised if it is possible to cool this on air but without benchmarks it’s all speculation.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
It’s too much just because you say it is? If the benchmarks show it runs ok at decent temperatures then that’s all that matters. As I said it’s not that much higher than some partner 3080’s so I would not be too surprised if it is possible to cool this on air but without benchmarks it’s all speculation.

heatsink / fins / and heatpipes have watt capacity .. once that capacity is reached , then it will start heating up much faster ... it will perform well within the heat capacity it can deal with , once it is above that , it wont be able to handle it.

heatsink / fins / and heatpipes have watt capacity .. once that capacity is reached , then it will start heating up much faster ... it will perform well within the heat capacity it can deal with , once it is above that , it wont be able to handle it.
Agree, but we don’t know what the capacity is and there is nothing to suggest the current generation of coolers are being pushed to their max. The 3080 is running cooler than the 2080Ti which to me suggests the new coolers are not being pushed to their limits. We need reviews to pass any judgement on if the cooler will be sufficient.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Agree, but we don’t know what the capacity is and there is nothing to suggest the current generation of coolers are being pushed to their max. The 3080 is running cooler than the 2080Ti which to me suggests the new coolers are not being pushed to their limits. We need reviews to pass any judgement on if the cooler will be sufficient.

That card wont work 410 watts for long time , it will throttle.

Three fans long heatpipes cooling on GPU are rated at 300 watts .. 110 more watts is just too much..

that would be 30% more surface area needed , that is 4 fans long card.

here is an example of one of the best GPU coolers in the market it uses THREE 92 fans and Huge heatpipe design ,

https://www.arctic.ac/en/Accelero-Xtreme-IV/DCACO-V800001-GBA01

it is rated at 300 watts capacity

NMATCHED COOLING PERFORMANCE
With a cooling capacity of 300 Watts, the Accelero Xtreme IV offers an unmatched cooling performance. The three 92 mm PWM fans and the pre-applied MX-4 thermal compound ensure efficient cooling, even under overclocking.

That card wont work 410 watts for long time , it will throttle.

Three fans long heatpipes cooling on GPU are rated at 300 watts .. 110 more watts is just too much..

that would be 30% more surface area needed , that is 4 fans long card.

here is an example of one of the best GPU coolers in the market it uses THREE 92 fans and Huge heatpipe design ,

https://www.arctic.ac/en/Accelero-Xtreme-IV/DCACO-V800001-GBA01

it is rated at 300 watts capacity
You are completely ignoring how the 3080 is performing. The 3080FE is rated at 320w and some 3rd party cards are pushing 350w and all are testing very well for heat. The 3090 FE is a 350w card and we can expect 3rd party boards to be higher. We really don’t know that an extra 50w will push these cooling solutions beyond their limits, there is no indication they are close at 350w. Cooler design and efficiency seems to have stepped up to the requirements of higher TDP cards. I therefore can believe a good design may handle 400w but without reviews we are both speculating.

Reactions: Phaaze88 and King_V

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
You are completely ignoring how the 3080 is performing. The 3080FE is rated at 320w and some 3rd party cards are pushing 350w and all are testing very well for heat. The 3090 FE is a 350w card and we can expect 3rd party boards to be higher. We really don’t know that an extra 50w will push these cooling solutions beyond their limits, there is no indication they are close at 350w. Cooler design and efficiency seems to have stepped up to the requirements of higher TDP cards. I therefore can believe a good design may handle 400w but without reviews we are both speculating.

still waaay below 410 watts . I know what I am talking about . yes you can stress a 300 watt capacity air cooler 50 watts more using some tricks in fans and holes behind fins , but 410 watts is too much.

still waaay below 410 watts . I know what I am talking about . yes you can stress a 300 watt capacity air cooler 50 watts more using some tricks in fans and holes behind fins , but 410 watts is too much.
Well if they're selling it then that means its probably able to dissipate 410W but is it 410W all the time? What temps? We need benchmarks. I believe it will be in the 70's C so still ok.

Reactions: Phaaze88

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Well if they're selling it then that means its probably able to dissipate 410W but is it 410W all the time? What temps? We need benchmarks. I believe it will be in the 70's C so still ok.

70 c ? you will be lucky if it went below 90C at 410 watts. and it will throttle down to lower the temps ...

The latest Nvidia drivers improved my temps
we are not talking about your card
Well if a heavily overclocked 2080 Ti maxes at 57C guess what's the max of a 3090, 80C Just saying that 57C on a heavily overclocked card flashed with Asus Matrix bios more power limit is very good. RTX cards don't run hot AT ALL.

You still didn't answer me about the previous post. Want me to quote it?

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
The latest Nvidia drivers improved my temps

Well if a heavily overclocked 2080 Ti maxes at 57C guess what's the max of a 3090, 80C Just saying that 57C on a heavily overclocked card flashed with Asus Matrix bios more power limit is very good. RTX cards don't run hot AT ALL.

You still didn't answer me about the previous post. Want me to quote it?

This is not how you compare heat and power , talk in watt ... 2080 ti overclocked is about 320 watts

and once the heat capacity is reached . it will not be linear any more , it will heat up Alot more for every watt added above the cooler capacity . this is physics not simple comparison.

once the materials heat capacity is reached , it will start heating up very fast .

This is not how you compare heat and power , talk in watt ... 2080 ti overclocked is about 320 watts

and once the heat capacity is reached . it will not be linear any more , it will heat up Alot more for every watt added above the cooler capacity . this is physics not simple comparison.

once the materials heat capacity is reached , it will start heating up very fast .
My Matrix 2080 Ti is 360W.