May 28, 2014
So basically as a summer project I am building a custom pc as the title says,
So far I have confirmed
Asus rampage 4 black edition.

I need help with the RAM, Case, GPU (Video card) and CPU coolers

So for GPU my options are
SLI gtx 690 or sli gtx 780 ti or sli gtx Titan
^ which one and why?
Please tell me in terms of power, future errors, rendering comparison, life and noise levels.

CPU cooling I am debating with fan cooling and water cooling..
Apart from sounds is there any drastic change?

Options for this are:
Coolermaster V8 gts
Coolermaster Hyper 212
Corsair H100i

which one and why?

As for the rams I do a lot of 3D modelling, video rendering (After effects), Photoshop and Gaming (hi-end)
How much ram should I have and which one?
Also what speed?

CASE...
This I don't know what I really what so I'm open to any and all suggestions! :DD

This is my first post here, sorry in advance if I've failed to follow rules :/
Thank you for your time!! :D Really appriciate it! :D

PlymouthJoseph

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2014
I've got a build and using it to similar as you are. In my build, I've got 2x EVGA GTX 780ti w/ ACX cooler in sli and they work a dream. haven't had a single fault.

For your graphics card, definitely go for the 780ti sli. I would personally try and not go for the standard 780ti, try and get one with with a better cooling, such as 2+ fans. The reason behind my choice of the 780ti is because it is the most powerful single GPU on the market. It eats the Titan with more CUDA cores and a higher clock rate. For the 690, there is no point really. It is just to 680s (I think) in one unit already in SLI for a LOT more money.

With your build, what CPU you getting because you didn't mention it. As the motherboard, I would go for the 4930k. Much cheaper than the 4960x and runs literately the same. For your cooling, I would go for water cooling. I've got the H105, which is like the H100i, just without all the extra features and quite a bit thicker. If you've got the room, try and go for the H105, else go for the H100i. The sound on the cooler all depends on the fans you're using on it. I'm using the stock fans with my H105 which are like a freaking hair dryer and sometimes I just put them on really low RPM just to shut them up, but I'm using a push-pull configuration with mine, and so I'm also using the Noctua NF-F12 PWMs which are almost completely silent, even at very high RPM. So, if you can afford it and if you have the room, the H105 else the H100i. But be warned, the H100i stock fans are even louder then the H105, so I would very highly recommend getting different fans. Either the Noctua NF-F12s or the Corsair SP120s.

For your RAM, I cannot help you much there, but I could get a min of 16GB of RAM. Try and get some which are 1866MHz+, and if you truly want to take advantage of the Asus Rampage IV Black Edition, go for 64GB of 2400MHz RAM.

For your case, I can't help you there. All I can suggest is make sure the case you're looking for is E-ATX compatible, supports a 240mm radiator and has good air flow. That's all I can suggest.

CeroZIlch

Reputable
May 28, 2014
<3 Thank you!!!
CPU I'm confused between i7-4960x or amd fx-9590 or 4930k
I dont know which one to go for.
And thanks a lot for that quick reply!!

PlymouthJoseph

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2014
It's no problem, and choosing between AMD and Intel is like choosing between apple and a banana. Everyone their own opinions and what they think is better. Lets make it a little easier for you.

Intel - They usually will outlive a AMD, but that all depends on how you're using it. They often run cooler. They are HyperThreaded. 2011 socket motherboards support 64GB RAM.

AMD - They have their own GPU range which work very will with AMD CPUs. Cost miles cheaper. More overclocking friendly, although they run hotter. Much cheaper per core.

No matter which one you will go for, you will be happy with. AMD are known to game better sometimes because of the more cores and not all games are HyperThreading compatible, but for rendering and editing will usually go more smoothly on a Intel because of HyperThreading. I would recommend going for an Intel based build if you can afford at the components because it would suit your needs better, but if you want to save some bucks, go for a AMD build. You wouldn't be disappointed.

If you're wanting more information on the FX-9590 vs i7 4930k, there is a thread about it. Here is the link if you're interested. http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1998938/amd-9590-intel-4930k.html

CeroZIlch

Reputable
May 28, 2014
I think I'm going to go with the Intel :D
Another quick question
For the system cooling
what should i go for? Water cooling or Fan based cooling?
And is : "MSI GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB TWIN FROZR" fine? :D Base clock is 1.02Ghz
or
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB WINDFORCE base clock 1.08Ghz

PlymouthJoseph

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2014
I would go for the GeForce one, mainly because it has better cooling and a higher clockrate.
for the system cooling, (guessing you mean CPU) go for water cooling. Reason behind this is because they do cool much better than air and are more overclocking friendly due to the better cooling, but if you are wanting to play it safe and not overclock, just get a Noctua fan and heatsink. Should do you fine, but if you mean just cooling for the case just get a lot of air flow. Sucking air in through the front, side and bottom. (If you have the room in your case) and then pulling it out the back and top. Oh, one more thing, make sure you buy some better thermal paste such as Arctic Silver MK-5 or something, this will usually make about 3-7 degrees difference.
If you're interested, this is mine: EVGA GTX 780ti SC W/ ACX cooler

CeroZIlch

Reputable
May 28, 2014
This is my build so far let me know what you think!

Motherboard: Asus rampage 4 Black edition

Graphics card:
3 * MSI GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB TWIN FROZR
3 * NZXT G10 water coolers for the GPU

Intel i7-4960k - CPU
Corsair H100i - CPU cooler

RAM:
Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory

Storage:
2 * Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
1 * Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
1 * Western Digital WD Black 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

CD/DVD:
2 * Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer

Is there anything I may have to change?

And here is what I need help with

Is switching 3-way SLI to 2 * Titan black worth it?

I have the "Pro" beats by dr dre
but I need a gaming headset.. I LOVE BASE.
So, should I buy a decent MIC or a gaming dedicated headset?
If dedicated then these are the options:
Turtle beach 7
astro A40
Razer kraken 7.1
Razer tiamat 7.1

From the following please pick one for each category:
Keyboard:
MadCatz S.T.R.I.K.E 7
Corsair Vengeance K90

Gamepad:
Orbweaver
Any other option?

Speaker:
Logitech z906 5.1
Anything cheaper and better?

Also I recently heard that the i7 - 5930k will be out soon.. so should I be patient or it is just over kill?

Still conflicted about the case and Monitor.. So any help? I'm thinking of a 4k 3D monitor for the 3-way SLI or lesser than 4K but 3D for the titans?

OH OH what is this used for?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E7LIEG0/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00E7LIEG0&linkCode=as2&tag=thedroideffec-20

Also with the motherboard do i need an external sound card or the one on board is badass? and same question for network i.e. should I get a card for WiFi or is it fine?

This is my first custom build so I just wanted to be sure and I love the committee here! <3
Will be eagerly waiting for replies! Thank you!

PlymouthJoseph

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2014
Well, I can see you are defiantly pulling out all the stops here... xD

Well, here is what I can say about it already:

With your GPUs, I didn't know know that NZXT G10 thingy even existed! I'm thinking about adding to my build! Thing is, if you're going to get that, you're going to have to get 3 more water coolers, and I highly doubt you've got the room. And even if you do, what's the point getting such a 780ti with 3 cooling fans if you're just going to take them off again to add this on? I don't quite think you understand what it is... In short, it is a cooling piece for the GPU. What you would do is take off the original cooler (yours being the case with the three fans) and attach that, and then you would get a water cooler, such as the H100i or the H55 and attach it to that and you would have water cooling for your GPU. But the thing is, you're getting 3 780ti's and that means you would need 3 more water cooling blocks. Believe me, you're not going to need it with that cooler. And a question, how come you're getting 3 GPUs? I've got 2 and I can run any game at ultra with everything enabled and still get around 120FPS minimum. But it's your build, I just personally think you're not going to need it.

For your CPU and CPU cooler... How come you're going for the 4960x? It is so more expensive when you're only getting a 0.2GHz boost in normal clock speed and 0.1GHz in boost. Believe me, save you're self some money and get the 4930k, unless you're willing to wait for the 5930k. But who knows how much that is going to be... And by looking how much you're going all out on this, I would advise you waiting for the 5930k. For you're cooling, I would save the money from swapping the 4960x to the 4930k and buy a H105 with 4 Noctua NF-F12s or 4 Corsair SP120s because they will be much MUCH more quieter then the once that come stock and will be much better at doing what they do. You don't have to get 4 though, that is only if you can fit it.

Also, how come you're only going for 16GB RAM? I thought you would of gone for 32 at least. Anyway, if that is what you want... I would advise trying to find some 2400MHz ram that is 4GB sticks and get either 4 or 8 of them. I know it sounds stupid but it would be better than 2x8GB.

Also, for your storage. I am wondering why you're getting a 250GB, a 500GB and a 4TB. Just a little confusing. Personally, I would swap you your Samsung 840 EVO's for some Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB SSDs. If you really want a 250GB and a 500GB, you could always have the 240GB and the 480GB. My reason behind this is because the Kingston have a 15MB/s read boost but a 10MB/s write loss. You're only really be using the write speed for when you're downloading and installing software. The read boost will give a fair bit of difference between boot up times, game load times and all things like that. And for the HDD, it's a good choice. I like it.

Your BlueRay drive is fine too.

Is switching 3-way SLI to 2 * Titan black worth it?
Not a chance. The Titan Black is literately the exact same as the 780ti, just with a very small clock boost and 6GB of GDDR RAM instead of 3GB. The GRAM will make no difference in the games, or anything in that matter. So, no... If you're really set on having 3-way SLI with the 780ti, sick what that.

For your headset, there are MANY choices which you could choose. This is the one I would recommend for you. Sony Pulse Wireless Headset (As you're a bass lover, I couldn't recommend these enough.) There is also this one. This may not be as bassy as you would like, but for gaming, you honestly cannot get better, I promise you. Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X Audiophile Open-Air Headphones. The reason you should get these is because when you're playing a game, you want to know here the bad buys are, and this headset gives the best positional audio compared to any other headset on the market. And for the question if you should buy a separate headset for gaming, my answer is a yes. Beats are good (although overpriced) for music, not for gaming.

For your keyboard, there are many many better looking keyboards out there which are actually just better in general. I've got 2 and I would highly recommend looking at them. 1. Cyborg V7 2. Logitech G19s

The GamePad, I don't see the point in getting. You're just not going to use it, believe me.

Speakers, great choice but I don't know too much about speakers so I cannot make a great judgement.

For your monitors, I can't help there either... I've got 3 BenQ XL2720Z which are fucking amazing, but only 1080p. For your case, you could always get the same one as mine... The InWin GRone. Cant say much about it other than it is awesome!

That link you posted is in short, a PCI SSD. It looks beast and I could recommend getting it. It's just like adding another, faster SSD into your machine.

The soundcard is badass. Oh, so very badass indeed. So, no need for a secondary sound card, and the Wi-Fi that comes with it is also amazing, but it is completely up to you if you want to buy a secondary Wi-Fi card.

There you go, you wanted some advise and there it is. Took me about 1 hour to type it all and do the research behind it, but it's worth it. Always glad to help.

TRENDING THREADS