[SOLVED] Custom build not working.

Jan 17, 2020
Hello i just registered for this question. My GF bought some parts on the christmas sale and I spent all day yesterday building it.

Ryzen 5 2600 cpu.
Msi aero 1050 TI 4gb.
Ballistix 2x8 2666 ram.
Corsair(something)650w psu.
Rog strix b450f MB.
And one of those really small slot-in 500gb ssd sticks.

This was my first build that I did, watched many times though. I read all the instruction manuals provided, and youtubed anything i found complicated.

There's a fresh x64 w10 OS on it, and the pc keeps freezing after about 10 or so minutes of use doing nothing demanding. I was downloading drivers for the MB+gpu when it happened the first time, the drivers could fix it im aware but, i wanted to ask anyway.

Theres one RGB (outtake) fan in the back, and the stock fan (intake) in the front. Theres some RGB in the aerocool bolt chassis, that im sure i connected wrongly to the MB, and i tried just disconnecting the cables which added a few minutes to the pre-freeze lifetime of the PC.

At the very start i couldnt get it to work, MB led's were orange so i swapped around the ram, which helped. Then the MB led's were switching between red/orange indicating cpu/dram problems. And also some white light which is VGA apparently. But it still started fine and the led's stopped giving lightcodes. It was at that point that i just disconnected the RBG stuff for the front panel (chassis rgb) and now the motherboard led's aren't saying anything which is good. But the PC still freezes. Again, no drivers installed atm.

I thought not having custom paste for the CPU might be the problem (stock cooling+paste on cpu) which is enough unless you overclock and stuff so... Im all out of ideas, sorry for not searching before posting, i've been at this for about 16 hours now and im tired :')

Thanks.

Solution
Today i tested the rams. Ram#1 in slot A2 and Ram#2 in B2 has been working and has been the setup we've had. The pc recognizes that there's 16 gigs of ram in there with this setup. But Ram#2 in slot A2 alone, doesnt work, Ram#2 in A2 and Ram#1 in B2 doesnt work (Yellow light from the Mobo led, indicating dram). Ram #1 in A2 Alone works, but still crashes the PC, Ram #1 in A2 Ram #2 in B2 also works but still also crashes.

I atm have both in, #1 a2 #2 b2 and running the windows memory test thing, whatever its called. This setup works, pc starts with no failcodes. But still crashes after a while (while in OS, not bios)

You need to fully reinstall windows my friend.

Then let us know how it works. Nice to see the ram isnt the issue.

sgnz

Commendable
Apr 19, 2019
Sorry to hear your new gaming pc isnt working :/ What psu do you have for this build? Brand and model number please. Power delivery could be a culprit if your psu is of poor quality

Jan 17, 2020
Hello thanks for the response, it is a Corsair RM650 modular, we are at my place atm because she has no monitor. So i dont have all the specs right now, im going by memory and what i can see. I could take it out in case the model number is on it physically? The site we ordered from has a "pc builder mode" and its the largest PC site in Sweden, so you literally Couldnt pick the wrong items or the site would say like "Your Motherboard doesnt have that many slots/supports this blablabla" But she went for some cheaper ram, Ballistix 16gb 2x8 DDR4 2666 CL16.

Im having a hard time believing the PSU isnt enough, but i Could unplug the RGB for the fan in the back for less power usage.. The GPU is Integrated or whatever its called, it doesnt have a slot for power from the PSU.

I will try safe mode - install Mobo drivers later, and also try unplugging RGB for the fan. Other than that im all lost. Thank you

Sorry to hear your new gaming pc isnt working :/ What psu do you have for this build? Brand and model number please. Power delivery could be a culprit if your psu is of poor quality

Hello thanks for the response, it is a Corsair RM650 modular, we are at my place atm because she has no monitor. So i dont have all the specs right now, im going by memory and what i can see. I could take it out in case the model number is on it physically? The site we ordered from has a "pc builder mode" and its the largest PC site in Sweden, so you literally Couldnt pick the wrong items or the site would say like "Your Motherboard doesnt have that many slots/supports this blablabla" But she went for some cheaper ram, Ballistix 16gb 2x8 DDR4 2666 CL16.

Im having a hard time believing the PSU isnt enough, but i Could unplug the RGB for the fan in the back for less power usage.. The GPU is Integrated or whatever its called, it doesnt have a slot for power from the PSU.

I will try safe mode - install Mobo drivers later, and also try unplugging RGB for the fan. Other than that im all lost. Thank you

650w is more than enough for your system.

Are you sure you have your ram chips in slot 2 and 4 and not 1 and 3? If so, have you tried 1 stick at a time in slot 2 to try and narrow down if you have a bad stick of memory?

Unless your mobo only has 2 memory slots. The 1st pair of memory you put in should be in 2 and 4. And 2 can be used for testing individual sticks 1 at a time.

Swarzenegger

Great
Jan 6, 2020
Hm, could be a few things.
  1. the ram isn't slotted right, try to look in the manual in which slots you should put your 2 sticks for dual channel.
  2. CPU overheats because the fan isn't on fully. Look if you can move the fan, if you can it probably isn't seated on properly, maybe the thermal paste isn't fully spreaded? If you can download ryzen master, for amd some software does not report the temps correctly.
  3. You did not connect the CPU-cable. On the mobo, above the cpu there is a 8 pin connector, to supply the cpu for enough power. Make sure this one is plugged in correctly.

Jan 17, 2020
Yes i have the Ram in A2 and B2, i have not tried with only one so far, will try that out later aswell. There are four slots but i only used 2 and 4. I did miss the 8pin power cable at first, top left. No signal on the screen, i then put it in. The fan speeds in Bios were at around 800-1000~ RPM if memory serves me well. Only 2 fans so far, i have one in my PC i could try adding to hers for extra coolage. ATM she has one sucking Out air in the back, and one pushing air in in the front. No Fan slots on the side only 2 more in front, and 2 at the top now. Where should i move/put it? Exhaust/intake top? Thanks for all the replies guys, i'll report later when i get to try all this stuff out, not sure which order i should do everything in though.

Jan 17, 2020
Okay before i did anything physical to the PC, i went in and installed some drivers for the Motherboard, the Bios update was a .cap file that i couldnt run and not sure what to do with it/if to do anything with it. The pc was running fine for longer than usual, i went ahead to download the Nvidia Geforce Experience or whatever for drivers.. But during installation it said it doesnt support this version of windows. So i went to get a "standard" driver that the installer said would work. But the PC bluescreened mid download. Reboot, trying instantly to download it again, instant bluescreen again..

Everything looks fine in Ryzen Master, the temp lies stable at about 50'C, topping at 65 during CPU stress test. BUT.. (EDC CPU) Was almost always at 90-99% of 90 A Limit 168 A while doing nothing, after chipset drivers etc its a little better but still goes Way up there sometimes, i dont know what it is or what it means but.. Now im stuck not knowing what to do with the GPU drivers, maybe time to try some physical stuff like trying with 1 stick of ram etc. I'm not sure.

Jan 17, 2020
It was a custom build in parts, with no disc reader so i asked a friend if he had windows on a USB, which he had. Its an older version of windows 10 apparently, i was trying all day yesteday to download the Windows upgrade assistant or whatever to upgrade to the latest version of windows. But i can never get through the installation properly because the PC freezes or bluescreens. I had the pc run "afk" for a while with Ryzen master and Task manager performance window open. As stated the EDC CPU goes Way up there sometimes but noting noteworthy on temperature etc.

Jan 17, 2020
Today i tested the rams. Ram#1 in slot A2 and Ram#2 in B2 has been working and has been the setup we've had. The pc recognizes that there's 16 gigs of ram in there with this setup. But Ram#2 in slot A2 alone, doesnt work, Ram#2 in A2 and Ram#1 in B2 doesnt work (Yellow light from the Mobo led, indicating dram). Ram #1 in A2 Alone works, but still crashes the PC, Ram #1 in A2 Ram #2 in B2 also works but still also crashes.

I atm have both in, #1 a2 #2 b2 and running the windows memory test thing, whatever its called. This setup works, pc starts with no failcodes. But still crashes after a while (while in OS, not bios)

You need to fully reinstall windows my friend.

Then let us know how it works. Nice to see the ram isnt the issue.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS