Custom build parts

Eddie K

Reputable
Jun 24, 2014
Hi,

This is a gaming custom build by Obnoxious that I plan to use. The overall cost is around 1000$ but I can pay a few hundred more or less if needed. It's not a rigid budget.I especially don't mind paying a bit more on a component if it's much higher in performance score (E.g. let's say CPU in this build is 7000, but I can get one for only 40$ more which results in 12 000) I know that example is over-exaggerated but you get the point. So is there anything I should replace? I'm a novice at this so I'm not exactly sure what to do. The goal though is 60+ FPS on maxed out settings for current high demanding games and for games in the future as well. I went with Intel i5 instead of AMD 8000s series because it would be harder to upgrade the AMD series in the future because of the outdated socket.

Also, is there any bottlenecking in this build? If so, how can I tell?

Thanks,

Eddie

"PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.88 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($103.95 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($83.78 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.97 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: HIS Radeon R9 280X 3GB IceQ X² Video Card ($259.99 @ Memory Express)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($67.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($17.82 @ DirectCanada)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($105.84 @ DirectCanada)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN781ND 802.11b/g/n PCI Wi-Fi Adapter ($14.99 @ Canada Computers)
Case Fan: Cooler Master R4-C2R-20AC-GP 69.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($6.34 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $995.54
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

The above PSU is more than adequate for the build above, however if you're willing to stretch past your $1,000 budget by $10, I'd get the following PSU instead:

Power Supply: Corsair Builder 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Canada Computers)
Total: $79.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available"

Solution

Eddie K

Reputable
Jun 24, 2014

Yeah I might just get the corsair. How much would the discrete cooler be? Does that take the place of the case fan?

i would NOT recommend a corsair PSU unless its an AX unit. The CS , VS, and HX all are crap and use cheap capacitors, me and my buddy have been spending weeks on his corsair HX 750, second RMA. all units have a nasty coil whine or buzz, so they decided to give him an AX unit instead because its the only quality unit they make anymore.

I would highly advice you to stick with better brands that cost about the same or less. Seasonic, Antec, XFX, and Super Flower would all be better choices.

Eddie K

Reputable
Jun 24, 2014

A lot of sources say that Corsair is great. Could it be that your speicifc product was just faulty? Or are the sources refering to the speicifc AX unit you're talking about? Anyway, is the corsair unit - Corsair Builder 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Canada Computers) AX?

Seasonic and Delta are both better manufacturers of PSUs plain and simple. Corsairs in terms of longevity use cheaper capacitors, its a known problem at tech support, why do you think theyre just giving him a free upgrade to the AX series?

Heres a list of Corsair PSUs. the ones that are good are the ones that Seasonic and Delta make, the HX 750 which i advised my friend against is made by channelwell. He didnt listen and had 2 weeks of RMA headaches (literally, that buzzing sound was annoying). You said you want longevity out of this, so id stick with a unit made by Seasonic, or Delta.

heres the link for all brands and manufacturers

Solution

Eddie K

Reputable
Jun 24, 2014

Alright, thanks I'll keep that in mind.