[SOLVED] Custom Build - Screen Artefacting while GPU is plugged in, none with on-board graphics

Euclidean

Honorable
Jan 14, 2017
Description: I just finished my new build and started up the computer to see the screen was super artefact-y and anything on the screen was completely illegible. I've completed multiple builds for myself and friends in the past, so while I don't consider myself an expert, I have a decent idea of what I'm doing. When starting up the new build with the graphics card UNPLUGGED, it starts up without any issues whatsoever - every time. When starting up the new build with the graphics card PLUGGED IN, it starts up to the BIOS but nothing is legible whatsoever - see attached photo. There is nothing out of the ordinary in terms of POST codes during startup to the BIOS, and the POST sequences between graphics card plugged in vs. unplugged seem identical.

There is NO OS on this build yet as it's all brand-new.

Issue: While graphics card is plugged in, I get really bad artefacting of some kind in the BIOS menu ALMOST every time it starts up. The ratio of bad:good startups with the card plugged in is at least 15:1. This issue completely disappears when I unplug the graphics card and use the on-board graphics. Pictures attached.

Note: I started it up one time after flashing and then updating the BIOS (with the card not plugged in), plugged the card in, and got one good startup. Shut it off and tried for a second good one, nothing.

Note 2: I don't have an imgur or anything like that, so I opted to put the photos into a Google Drive folder specifically for them.

::Build::

Current Setup:
GPU in "first" slot - PCIEX16(G5)
SN850 SSD in M.2_1
SN850 SSD in M.2_2
2x32GB RAM stick in A2 & B2 (Marked "1st" on the board and book)
From what I've read in the book, there's no incompatibilities with using this setup.

Things I've Tested:
Graphics Card in the "first" slot - PCIEX16(G5)
Graphics Card in the "second" slot - PCIEX16(G3)
Graphics Card in all three settings (OC, Performance, Normal) with the switch on its side.
2x32GB RAM stick in A1 & B1 (Because I'm not always the best at paying attention and 100% did not read the book until necessary)
Flashing BIOS
Clearing BIOS
Updating BIOS
Clearing CMOS
Every possible combination of 2x PCI PSU cables in the adapter - yes, every possible combination (it took a VERY long time) - Each PCI PSU cable has 2x 6+2 pin connectors, meaning in this setup one cable used both of its 6+2 pin connectors. This leaves only one 6+2 connector unconnected.
Every possible combination of 3x PCI PSU cables in the adapter - yes, every possible combination (also took a VERY long time) - This setup used 3x 6+2 pin connectors, each cable using its own PSU spot. This leaves 3 6+2 connectors unconnected.
6 different DP cables, each one in each of the 3 DP ports on the card itself, in two different working monitors (ASUS VG248QG)
(Edit 4) + Installing an OS and testing the card once more, still no good

Things I've NOT Tested:
Graphics Card in the "third" slot - PCIEX16(G4) - It will not physically fit in that slot....
Installing an OS and then plugging in the graphics card (will test soon)
The same card in another computer (not sure my old PSU is hefty enough to support it)

-------

Edit 1: I've installed Windows 10 and tested it with the graphics card plugged in. It produces the same artefacting as it would from the BIOS, photos are in the 3 Google Drive links above.
Edit 2: This card is an RMA for another identical card from EVGA.
Edit 3: On the PSU, specifically, I am using the 3 ports closest to the "bottom" P8 port in this photo. (12V3, 12V4, 12V6 - when I was using only two PCI PSU cables, they were in 12V3 and 12V4)
Edit 4: Strike-throughs and additions (marked with +) pertaining to OS.

Last edited:
Solution
Update:

I tested my build with my old graphics card and it booted without issue every time. I even swapped out PSU cables from each plug of the new GPU's adapter to test each power cable - all was good. It looks like I hit the GPU lottery with two bad ones in a row.
Description: I just finished my new build and started up the computer to see the screen was super artefact-y and anything on the screen was completely illegible. I've completed multiple builds for myself and friends in the past, so while I don't consider myself an expert, I have a decent idea of what I'm doing. When starting up the new build with the graphics card UNPLUGGED, it starts up without any issues whatsoever - every time. When starting up the new build with the graphics card PLUGGED IN, it starts up to the BIOS but nothing is legible whatsoever - see attached photo. There is nothing out of the ordinary in terms of POST codes during startup to the BIOS, and the POST sequences between graphics card plugged in vs. unplugged seem identical.

There is NO OS on this build yet as it's all brand-new.

Issue: While graphics card is plugged in, I get really bad artefacting of some kind in the BIOS menu ALMOST every time it starts up. The ratio of bad:good startups with the card plugged in is at least 15:1. This issue completely disappears when I unplug the graphics card and use the on-board graphics. Pictures attached.

Note: I started it up one time after flashing and then updating the BIOS (with the card not plugged in), plugged the card in, and got one good startup. Shut it off and tried for a second good one, nothing.

Note 2: I don't have an imgur or anything like that, so I opted to put the photos into a Google Drive folder specifically for them.

::Build::

Current Setup:
GPU in "first" slot - PCIEX16(G5)
SN850 SSD in M.2_1
SN850 SSD in M.2_2
2x32GB RAM stick in A2 & B2 (Marked "1st" on the board and book)
From what I've read in the book, there's no incompatibilities with using this setup.

Things I've Tested:
Graphics Card in the "first" slot - PCIEX16(G5)
Graphics Card in the "second" slot - PCIEX16(G3)
Graphics Card in all three settings (OC, Performance, Normal) with the switch on its side.
2x32GB RAM stick in A1 & B1 (Because I'm not always the best at paying attention and 100% did not read the book until necessary)
Flashing BIOS
Clearing BIOS
Updating BIOS
Clearing CMOS
Every possible combination of 2x PCI PSU cables in the adapter - yes, every possible combination (it took a VERY long time) - Each PCI PSU cable has 2x 6+2 pin connectors, meaning in this setup one cable used both of its 6+2 pin connectors. This leaves only one 6+2 connector unconnected.
Every possible combination of 3x PCI PSU cables in the adapter - yes, every possible combination (also took a VERY long time) - This setup used 3x 6+2 pin connectors, each cable using its own PSU spot. This leaves 3 6+2 connectors unconnected.
6 different DP cables, each one in each of the 3 DP ports on the card itself, in two different working monitors (ASUS VG248QG)

Things I've NOT Tested:
Graphics Card in the "third" slot - PCIEX16(G4) - It will not physically fit in that slot....
Installing an OS and then plugging in the graphics card (will test soon)
The same card in another computer (not sure my old PSU is hefty enough to support it)

Edit 1: I've installed Windows 10 and tested it with the graphics card plugged in. It produces the same artefacting as it would from the BIOS, photos are in the 3 Google Drive links above.
Edit 2: This card is an RMA for another identical card from EVGA.
Could be bad psu power connection either the psu itself or the cable

Euclidean

Honorable
Jan 14, 2017
Update:

I tested my build with my old graphics card and it booted without issue every time. I even swapped out PSU cables from each plug of the new GPU's adapter to test each power cable - all was good. It looks like I hit the GPU lottery with two bad ones in a row.

Solution