Custom Build vs Build Myself ($3000US Max Gaming PC)

alanburke62

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2012
Well folks,
Much like the title states....I am unsure about if I should just buy a custom built one from the likes of iBuypower, Exotic PC, Origin etc etc or build one myself and chose parts from PC Part Picker. I have about $3000US to spend, but don't have to spend it all or if I go a little over, I'm ok with it. I will use it for gaming mainly. Would like to future proof it as best I can, but I know that's near impossible!!! I just need a tower, I have a monitor, keyboard and mouse. I would prefer just a single GPU and am set on a 1080ti.Also I'd like a i7-8700x and a motherboard that I can use Wi-Fi.
So I will take any build suggestions from PC Part Picker or custom built one from a company like the ones named above.
Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.....thanks in advance.

Before you commit to a rather expensive 1080TI...are you playing at 4k or 1440P, or, at 1080P on a 144 Hz refresh monitor?

If stuck at 1080P/60 HZ refresh, even a GTX1060 (6 GB) is plenty of GPU currently....

I'm sure both Asus, MSI, and GIgabyte each offer wifi-varaints with their Z370 boards....

If you get a case wide enough to support a tallish conventional heatsink, the Noctua NH-D15 never leaks, and have has a pump to fail in one year's time.

Food for thought....next generation of GPUs right around the corner..maybe! :)

As for building vs. buying it, I prefer building it myself, but, not everyone is comfortable with this, understandably so.....

Generally, buying a nice prebuilt, you are paying them parts plus $500, typically....; I'd prefer to spend the money where it is needed. (Most prebuilts might only sell you the strongest GPUs with the most expensive CPUs, etc, or w/ more RAM than needed....

alanburke62

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2012
Cheers for the info mdd1963.....my monitor is quite old, but its 1080p....I was picking the 1080ti so if I upgrade to a higher res monitor i'll be somewhat prepared, but I have seen that something maybe on the horizon with the next gen of GPU's coming soonish. I had looked at both Asus and Gigabyte for the motherboard end of things. As for the cooler, I had plugged the Noctua NH-D14 into my plans....but did look at the D15, but seen it was very big and can cause issues with blocking ram and video cards in some rigs. I don't plan on doing much yet with this system, I may hold out for the sales and do it all closer to Christmas, but its been a long time since I have researched the newest gear, so just trying to get a heads up on whats our there and what builds people would suggest for the money.