Custom built $3K gaming/video editing PC - Best parts

zumiez

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013
Deciding on the best parts for a new custom built PC focused on gaming and some video editing. I think I've come up with a pretty solid ultimate build but would love some feedback on the parts. All in all with the extra optional hardware my total purchase will come up to just under $6000 CAD. The core PC itself minus the UPS battery backup is just under $3000.

Are there any better alternatives for the CPU cooler (Preferably only air cooled as putting water in an expensive PC is still a scary thought) instead of the Noctua NH-D14?

I'm buying all parts through NCIX Canada and letting them assemble it so that I have less chances of any hardware being DOA. They also price matched everything if it was available on a Canadian competitors website and in-stock (saved me a few hundred bucks!).

Keep in mind if anyone else is thinking of having NCIX or a similar company assemble a computer like this, you will probably have to install the CPU cooler and thermal paste yourself as it more than likely won't ship installed for safety reasons (the NH-D14 is massive and heavy!).

CORE/ESSENTIAL SPECS:

- Case: Antec Eleven Hundred Performance Gaming Case XL-ATX
- CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K Unlocked Quad Core 3.5GHZ Processor LGA1150 Haswell 8MB Cache
- Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Formula ATX LGA1150
- CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 LGA1150/1155/1156/1366 AM3 FM1 FM2 Heatpipe Cooler
- Video Card: ASUS GeForce GTX 780 OC DirectCU II 941MHZ 3GB 6.0GHZ GDDR5
- OS Hard Drive: Samsung 840 Evo Series 250GB 2.5in SATA III Internal SSD
- Storage HDD: 2x Western Digital Caviar Black 4TB 64MB Cache 7200RPM 3.5in SATA3 HDD
- Power Supply: Antec HCP-1000 Platinum 1000W ATX12V Power Supply 80PLUS Platinum
- RAM: 32GB G.SKILL RipjawsX 4X8GB DDR3-1866 CL9 240PIN 1.5V Quad Channel Memory
- Optical Drive: ASUS BW-12B1ST Blu-Ray Writer 12X BD-R 16X DVD+R SATA
- Extra Fans: 4x Antec TrueQuiet Pro 120MM Ultra Silent Case Fan
- UPS: APC SMART-UPS S 1500VA 900W LCD 120V UPS USB w/ LCD Display

EXTRA HARDWARE:

- Main Monitor: BenQ XL2720T 27in 120HZ Monitor LED 1080p 1MS Lightboost DVI 2xHDMI
- Secondary Monitor: BenQ GW2750HM 27in Widescreen A-MVA LED Monitor 20M:1 4MS
- Keyboard: Logitech G19 Gaming Keyboard USB Black Color LCD Multi-Color Backlit Keys
- Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Essential Ergonomic Gaming Mouse 6400DPI 4G Optical Sensor
- Headset: Sennheiser PC350 Gaming Stereo Headset 10FT Black Noise Cancel Mic
- Mousepad: Steelseries Qck Heavy XXL-SIZED Super Thick Cloth Mouse Pad
- External Backup HDD: Seagate Backup Plus 4TB USB3.0 3.5in Desktop External Hard Drive
- Card Reader: nMedia i18-C68 3.5in Bay All-in-one USB 3.0 Card Reader with USB 3.0 front Port

Thanks a lot for your time and feedback!

Solution
Yep, Based on your component list I was thinking along the lines you've mentioned, to much time went into your selections to be a casual user, your rig sounds like many I do for people doing the same type things with their rigs...should be a nice one, you'll be happy with ;)

Drew010

Honorable
May 11, 2013
Since you aren't going with an LGA 2011 socket you don't need quad channel RAM, that will save you some extra bucks. Also you don't need 1000W unless you are planning on SLI-ing your 780 further down the road. I would go with a 750W Seasonic or Corsair PSU. As for watercooling, you shouldn't worry about it failing and ruining your build as long as you install it correctly.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
The Asus 780 is a great one, I'd stick with it, OCs very well and fantastic cooling design, would suggest on the DRAM and your CPU, look at the 32GB 1866 Tridents or secondly their Snipers, both work and OC extremely well with Asus mobos....also a question on the mobo, are you planning to liquid cool it? That's the biggest reason for the higher price, built in Water block, if not might save $100 or so and look to the Hero

zumiez

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013

LGA 1150 won't make use of quad channel ram? I'm pretty sure most the 32GB kits that were decent were around the same price anyway.

I did step it up a bit on the power supply as I know it's a very important part running power to everything. I very well might be getting another gtx 780 down the road to SLI it though.

I'm still think I'm going to stick with an air cooler this time around but wondering if the NH-D14 is overkill. I just saw it usually on top when people talked about the lowest temperatures for air coolers.

Thanks for the feedback!

zumiez

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013

I'd have to skimp out on something though. Def could lose some of the extra hardware but I was thinking of just adding a second 780 down the road when prices drop even more.

zumiez

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013

I definitely like G.Skill, never really knew what the difference between everyone's series of RAM is besides different looking heat spreaders.

Probably not going to liquid cool it. I had the first Maximus Formula mobo so that's probably why I went straight for the formula version. I do like the idea of built in WiFi in case I need it though.

g-unit1111

Titan

You mean 780TI right?

The OP's rig - I think I would trash the whole thing. Too much money being spent on a lot of flat out unnecessary items - the extra case fans, expensive UPS unit, BD-R burner, mouse pad, card reader, external hard drive - leave this stuff off. You just do not need to buy this stuff. You're just throwing money away at that point. The storage and RAM are also ridiculous overkill, and a $3K rig - nothing less than dual 780TIs should even be remotely considered.

This is what you should get:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220 55.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($149.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($174.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($122.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($705.91 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($705.91 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($114.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: NZXT HALE90 V2 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $2661.72
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-08 17:44 EST-0500)

That gives you $400 for whatever else you need. Don't spend money where you don't have to and spend it on what counts.

mastrom101

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010

I meant 780s but I agree with your build. It looks like a much better option.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Items like those listed you call pointless are often integral to those who do video editing for a living or even just do a lot of it i.e. exernal storage, UPS, burner, card reader, etc - I know I don't do a ton of it (video editing) but I use all those things - there really is a lot more that people do with a computer than just gaming and oft times an 'ideal' gaming rig won't always fit into a persons other needs for a computer - have to keep in mind what is best to fit the OP's needs, not something WE doing the answers want

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah but do you really need a UPS with an LCD screen? :heink:

Well I don't really mean things like that are pointless. The mouse pad - that is pointless. But storage is all relative to the user and the OP can add as many drives as they want.

You can get better card readers (this is the one I have: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820176023

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Features are a users perogative, is a UPS a good idea - YES, period, few use them but it's definitely a positive. Storage is relative to the user, which is why I seldom jump in on that other then to offer suggestions as to what I see as pertinent, like I don't recommend 5400 platters, there's some brands of SSDs I'm not thrilled with, but the way I see that, no telling what they want to do - might want to run a RAID, may plan to use the rig to run/hold backups from other house/office computers, might even plan to use a gaming rig as a home server - card readers I agree can always get a really good one but know people seldom bring me stuff on cards, so I've got different low end ones on my three rigs, no problems with any so far (knock on wood/fingers crossed ;) )

zumiez

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013

I choose that UPS because it is a SMART-UPS not the basic cheap backup-ups. It puts out a pure sine wave, and is a pro grade ups that should last a considerably longer time than the base ones you see at retail stores. It just happens to have an LCD screen ;)

zumiez

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013

As Tradesman1 said, most of these parts are essential. Sure the extra fans and mouse pad aren't necessary but they also don't hurt.

I do video editing (After Effects etc.) and audio engineering in addition to gaming so the RAM and storage space is vital.

g-unit1111

Titan

Huh, interesting. I've never had the need for such a unit. But it's not something I would spend $200 or more on.

As Tradesman1 said, most of these parts are essential. Sure the extra fans and mouse pad aren't necessary but they also don't hurt.

I do video editing (After Effects etc.) and audio engineering in addition to gaming so the RAM and storage space is vital.

Oh OK that makes a lot of sense then. A mouse pad isn't something I would spend money on either.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Yep, Based on your component list I was thinking along the lines you've mentioned, to much time went into your selections to be a casual user, your rig sounds like many I do for people doing the same type things with their rigs...should be a nice one, you'll be happy with ;)

Solution