[SOLVED] Custom Built PC Experiencing Random Power Loss

sequacious

Commendable
Dec 22, 2018
Hello, I recently upgraded my PC in a pretty major way and am now experiencing major issues.
I am experiencing reboots (randomly but mostly when playing games like Subnautica or Overwatch.)
My first instinct was heat, but after using things like OpenHardwareMonitor I've deduced that this isn't the case. The tower is cooled substantially. I've also run memtest multiple times to no avail.
As a a side note, the Windows Event Logger shows no useful info.
I've re-installed Windows multiple times, used both the Windows driver updates and DriverEasy to update drivers. Installed all drivers relevant to my hardware. Updated and reset my Bios multiple times.
I've also ordered a Power Supply tester in order to rule that out.

If anyone else has had a similar issue I would much appreciate their feedback.

System Specs;
- CPU: Intel i7-8700k
- GPU: ASUS Turbo GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X
- Mobo: Asus RoG Maximus X Hero | Intel Z370 ATX
- RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 MHz - 8 GB x 2
- PSU: Corsair CX750 | 750w Power Supply Unit

Any help is much appreciated.

Solution
Sounds like a PSU issue based on your description and testing performed so far. The CX series is Corsair's entry level power supplies. Even with the 750W rating, they don't use the best of components inside. Generally, I recommend against entry level series for any kind of gaming PC, especially with a system with specs similar to yours. What happens with 3dMark loops or similar graphic intensive loads?
Sounds like a PSU issue based on your description and testing performed so far. The CX series is Corsair's entry level power supplies. Even with the 750W rating, they don't use the best of components inside. Generally, I recommend against entry level series for any kind of gaming PC, especially with a system with specs similar to yours. What happens with 3dMark loops or similar graphic intensive loads?

Solution

sequacious

Commendable
Dec 22, 2018

Honestly with stress testers and benchmarks nothing seems to be abnormal. I'll test with what you've recommended and see.
Do you have a recommendation of PSU?

Using Corsair AX series in my main system. Also using a Corsair SF450 in my HTPC ight gaming rig w/ GTX 970. Also have Seasonic power supplies in service in family members' setups. EVGA is also good choice. Just recommend looking at good common name brands offering solid warranties and a mid-tier level model or better.