JayTee3

Reputable
May 9, 2017
Not sure why this started happening, but it just gets stuck on this screen

d8VzBq8.jpg

• I’ve done sfc /scannow’s and DISM’s
  • Updated the bios
  • updated Windows
  • Unplugged the power for a while (though didn’t take out the CMOS battery)
Is this an issue that someone else has had and how did they fix it? Thankyou

I’ll make an edit with my part list shortly

Edit: Further testing seems that the screen will just stay black until I reboot it about 3 times, then I get stuck on the splash screen shown, and then after waiting 15 or so minutes, it will boot into windows like normal.... very odd.

Edit 2: One user on another forum which I had no luck on asked if I could press into Bios / Boot menu. My response: "No I can’t press anything, it’s unresponsive, delete / F12 don’t work. If I leave it for maybe 15 minutes it will boot into windows normally which is odd, I thought it was broken but when I just gave up and let it go it eventually booted into it, and still seems to sometimes but obviously that’s not ideal"

It will because its trying to figure out what the drive is.

I would recommend going back to the basics, CPU, OS drive, single stick of ram, GPU if you dont have onboard, and keyboard and mouse have nothing else plugged in and see how it boots. If it boots fine then start adding stuff in one at a time with a full windows boot each time till you get the issue again.

JayTee3

Reputable
May 9, 2017
It will because its trying to figure out what the drive is.

I would recommend going back to the basics, CPU, OS drive, single stick of ram, GPU if you dont have onboard, and keyboard and mouse have nothing else plugged in and see how it boots. If it boots fine then start adding stuff in one at a time with a full windows boot each time till you get the issue again.

This was fixed by removing the D: drive, no idea why that was the fix but it was, I'm not sure how a faulty D: Drive would stop the booting up + bios?

JayTee3

Reputable
May 9, 2017
What was on the D: drive?
Steam games pretty much and some old photos + maybe an old old windows install? I don't tihnk it was there anymore but it could've been (just like the files from it, the windows system files/folder wouldn't be there but the users>___>documents and etc would be)

No idea whats actually 100% on it since the drive itself is dead :(

Y
This was fixed by removing the D: drive, no idea why that was the fix but it was, I'm not sure how a faulty D: Drive would stop the booting up + bios?

The bios has to read every port so it knows what is there. If you have a bad drive installed the bios will not be able to read what it is and just sit there and try to figure it out.

Its like you walking into a room with 10 complete strangers in it, but only 9 of them are able to talk. Your job is to figure out what each person does for a living by only talking to them before you move on to the next room. After a while of guessing your just going to say screw it, you 9 people come with me as you move on to the next room.

You could get a external case or docking station for the drive, boot into windows then plug it in and see if windows will figure it out.

Steam games pretty much and some old photos + maybe an old old windows install? I don't tihnk it was there anymore but it could've been (just like the files from it, the windows system files/folder wouldn't be there but the users>___>documents and etc would be)

No idea whats actually 100% on it since the drive itself is dead :(
That "maybe an old windows install" is what causing the issue. But then again you said it is a dead drive or faulty drive. That being dead or faulty drive is also a cause as at boot that drive gets checked and tries to be fixed but after some time it fails and boots into windows with no success.

Is there is a reason why you have that faulty or dead drive plugged in. Remove it from the system.

TRENDING THREADS