Custom built PC (in a Mac G5 case) will not boot

Junkpants

Reputable
May 6, 2014
Greetings All,
I had a dead Mac G5 lying around so I decided to stuff a PC inside of it. With help from LaserHive, I got it all together, but was crestfallen when it didn't boot.

I already thoroughly read the excellent thread on here about all the things one should check before posting about non-boots and now I'm attempting to follow the troubleshooting outline also found here because I tried almost all of the suggestions and still can't boot.

The Full Story:
I parted out this machine at my local Microcenter and have had great success with very similar builds from there in the past. I got the necessary mobo adapter, front panel assembly and rear panel from Laserhive and everything went together pretty smoothly.
When plugged in, the red power button on the mobo lights up, but when pressed, the fans on the GPU spin for a moment and then nothing; no beeps, no codes on the mobo LED readout, no HDD lights, no other lights on the mobo.

The Specs:
CPU: i7-4770K, LGA1150
Mobo: Asus Z87 Pro
RAM: 2xCrucial 16GB Kit DDR3-1866(PC3-14900) CL9, 1.5V
CPU Cooler: Corsair H55
Video Card: EVGA Geforce GTX 770
PSU: Corsair CX750M
Boot drive: Intel SSD Sata3, 80GB
Case: Mac G5 (modified)

Steps I've taken, roughly in order:
1: checked and reseated all power connections
2: disconnected front panel power switch and used the built-in power switch on the mobo
3: reseated GPU
4: replaced mobo mounting screws with better ones that have a pan head for better contact
5: switched the fan+pump 3-pin connectors on the mobo thinking maybe the mobo thought there was no CPU fan installed
6: reset the CMOS (via jumpers, but did not remove battery)
7: removed everything from the case except PSU, checked that nothing was touching the back of
the mobo and reinstalled everything, left out the IO shield
8: removed everything again and did a breadboard (should've done that first and definitely will before any future builds!)
9: checked case again for any accidental ground

At this point I am inclined to think the mobo is a dud with the backup theory being that the PSU isn't working properly. I did not test the PSU yet but I just found our multimeter so that is a possibility although I have my doubts that's the issue.

I'm all ears as they say.

Thanks for any help and guidance,
Justin