Question Custom built pc won’t complete shutdown

BeanTeen

Prominent
May 27, 2020
Okay, so ever since early February my pc has been having this problem where whenever I try to turn it off the cpu error light comes on and the cpu fan speed increases. I’ve just been turning it off from the psu for now, but I was told if I keep doing that I could damage the psu. So far to fix it I have tried all of the following.
  • reseated the ram
  • made sure it was set to turn off in the windows power settings
  • uninstalled the RGB software
  • updated the bios
  • shut it off using the power button in windows
  • shut it off using a screwdriver on the motherboard
  • checking for any scratches on the motherboard
  • buying a new cpu cooler (also thank you Linus Tech Tips for the cooler recommendation)
I’ve done all of this and nothing has worked. I’ve tried asking people on Reddit (both tech support and pcmr) and I still cannot figure out what is wrong with my pc. Has anyone had a similar problem and/or has a solution? I don’t know if this will help, but here are my specs.

edit: I should also mention that the ram lights remain on as well
  • amd Ryzen 5 2600 cpu
  • Amd rx 580 gpu
  • MSI b450 tomahawk max MoBo
  • tforce delta rgb 8gb ram
  • thermaltake smart 500w 80+ psu
  • crucial p1 500gb m.2 ssd
  • samsung 870 2TB sata ssd
  • seagate barracuda 2TB ssd

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
thermaltake 500w 80+ psu
Thermaltake is the brand of the PSU, while 500W is the wattage and 80+ is it's efficiency rating. Please mention the model of the PSU, as shown on the sticker on it's side. If I were you, I'd replace the PSU to something more reliably and with at 650W of power for the entire build.

Can you get into BIOS? If so, please check and see what your BIOS version is. Version(not edition) for your OS?

Noticed your edit, that PSU shouldn't be anywhere near a PC.

Last edited:

BeanTeen

Prominent
May 27, 2020
thermaltake 500w 80+ psu
Thermaltake is the brand of the PSU, while 500W is the wattage and 80+ is it's efficiency rating. Please mention the model of the PSU, as shown on the sticker on it's side. If I were you, I'd replace the PSU to something more reliably and with at 650W of power for the entire build.

Can you get into BIOS? If so, please check and see what your BIOS version is. Version(not edition) for your OS?

Noticed your edit, that PSU shouldn't be anywhere near a PC.
My bios version is e7c02ams.3b2
Also why shouldn’t I use that psu?