Custom DVR requirments

bzand

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
I was thinking about making a dvr for my family(they refuse to pay for one from direct tv). It would just be for recording shows(mostly my moms soap opera) and maybe work as a regular pc for a little gaming. I was going to put all the components in an old tvio case my grandmother has(yes she paid for tvio unlike my parents). The tvio is pretty much shot and nothing is salvagable but the hdd and case. I want the whole project to be around $300. I was wondering what a good motherboard(I belive micro or minit atx will fit) Processor, amount of ram, hdd size(and ssd or hdd), and a small psu would be. The motherboard doesn't matter it just has to have decent onboard graphics with HDMI(if cheap enough a (low profile) graphics card will work. The processor can be Amd or Intel(but not all Amd has onboard?). I was thinking of a pentium g332 or i3(didn't really look at amd). Will 4gb ram be enough or should I go 8? For the hdd is 300gb-1tb reasonable? Will an SSD be worth it? Than the PSU, do they even make one that tiny? If so what's a good brand? For the tv tuner part is a usb or low profile pci-e better?(must have rca inputs and/or coax). Sorry for all the confusion.