Question Custom fans or AIO for Asus Strix 1080Ti ?

mastermat

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2013
I bought a used Asus Strix 1080Ti that has 3 fans on the bracket and performs fine but too hot and too loud.

So my first question is, where can I buy replacement fans? Couldn't find any in my local online stores that would fit. I would be OK with persistent 600RPM air cooling instead of spinning up to 1000RPM several times in a row when temperature is above 50°C. My case fans 120 and 140mm be quiet! Silent Wings 3 can barely be heared at 600RPM in a very silent room. The GPUs heatsink is so large it could easely fit much larger lower-RPM fans than stock.

Second, should I consider AIO over air cooling and which one? I found a highly recommended GPU mounting Kraken G12 coupled with some older corsair water coolers or the Kraken X series (not sure which one to get).
The confusing part for me is the VRAM fan on the Kraken G12. Does it always spins? I am used to GPU shutting down the fans completely when not gaming. Can RPMs on all these fans be customized to something like 500RPM? Is the pump going to be as silent as my 600RPM case fan?

How good is the fan speed control on all the GPU cooling fans if I was OK with higher temperatures but instead wanted a similar noise levels as I am used with my be quiet! Silent Wings 3 case fans? Ideally I am looking for some silent low-performance gaming as well. My stock GPU fans reach around 1500-1700 RPM while gaming and maximum temperature of 75°C.

My case is be quiet! Silent Base 601 and is one of warmest cases but my main goal is noise reduction. Most videos I found with tutorials for fitting AIOs on 1080ti GPUs were for smaller cards than mine so I'll need to check with the AIO sellers if it fits.

Thanks

Last edited:

mastermat

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2013
Reduction in noise or consistency, a fan profile could stop the spin down at 60C. I think you'll struggle to get much below 75C.

For some reason the fan is spinning up about 7-8°C sooner than specified, probably there is some error in sensors or some other input influenced this. I was unable to find a way to change it and custom profile setup does nothing to get below 40% fan speeds once it starts spinning.

How quiet would Kraken G12 + Kraken X42 (single fan) or Kraken X52 (2 fans) perform? I am awaiting response from the nzxt on how well I can customize the minimum fan speed. I am more inclined towards Kraken X42 because at the top of the case there are narrow holes for air exhaust that is only as big as one fan.

Edit: I was warned against nzxt setup due to CAM software privacy concerns. Can it still operate fully if I firewall it so it can't send any data? If not, I'll go with a different AIO and Kraken G12 mount.

Last edited: