Custom gaming PC is crashing while playing graphically intensive programs.

Vincent_43

Commendable
Dec 25, 2016
I have been having many problems with my new gaming PC. I will be playing several games like Call of Duty Black Ops 3 (custom zombies with loaded mods) and Rocket League with no problems and then when I play GTA V it will play like normal until about 20-30 minutes and the game and the computer will freeze. So I have to restart my whole computer. When I restart my computer is seems to run fine. I then would call my friend on Skype as we try to find why this problem keeps occurring. I would share my screen with the friend and my computer would freeze there as well!!! We then did a driver un-installation where we uninstalled the GPU drivers and reinstall them assuming that was the reason that the computer was freezing and this did not solve anything. After each reset I went into BIOS to check temperatures and fan speeds and the temperature of the processor was at ~47 C and the fan speed was really low so there is no problem with the processor. I also checked my GPU and that was at a constant 45 C so it is not overheating. Has anyone had this problem before and able to solve it for me?
Thanks

Here are my specs:
-Processor: AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-core 4.0 GHz AM3+ 125W (fan is a Cooler Master 212 EVO)
-Windows 10
-Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0
-GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
-Power supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 220-G2-0850
-Memory: HyperX FURY 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM

PC-4LIFE

Respectable
Nov 14, 2016
47C at idle in BIOS is pretty bad, it should be in the mid 30s.

Up your fan curve so that it spins faster at lower CPU temperatures.

Monitor your temperatures when you play games or skype. You should be concerned about anything over 75C

Vincent_43

Commendable
Dec 25, 2016

My CPU temperature is fine, that was recorded after playing games for a while, so my CPU should be fine.

PC-4LIFE

Respectable
Nov 14, 2016

Once you finish playing game or any intensive usage, your CPU temperature will drop fast. 47C is the temperature you got in the BIOS, it WILL be different when gaming, much different.

Record your temperature WHILE playing games, not after or before.

Rustycarrot

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015
I agree with PC-4LIFE,
Try downloading a program to show current system temps, like HWMonitor (http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html). Play for a bit and let us know the temps your getting on your CPU and GPU. The 212 Evo shouldn't be an issue, however you never know where the issue originates.

Rustycarrot

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015
Those temps seem fine.

My next idea was power issues, however you're power supply is more than enough to handle the system. Check to make sure that all of your connectors/cables are seated properly in and out of your case (Mobo header, CPU power, main power outside of case, etc).
Here are some more options:
1) Do you have any older devices connected to your PC like wifi adapters? Even small USB or PCIe devices can cause weird issues in your PC.
2) Run MemTest http://www.memtest86.com/ and check for errors
3) if none of that works you can try removing components one by one and seeing if that solves you're issue. This will help narrow down where your issue originates.

Vincent_43

Commendable
Dec 25, 2016

I do have a old USB wifi adapter plugged in, I can see if that is the problem. And I'll run the memtest

Vincent_43

Commendable
Dec 25, 2016

*Update* just ran windows memory test and there were no errors with the memory