News Custom GeForce RTX 3070 Ti GPUs Start At $1,800 Overseas

D

Deleted member 2783327

I always though lower price points resulted in increased sales volume leading to greater profits. I guess I'm wrong. Insanely high, almost criminal pricing seems to be the strategy now. I still feel though that many buyers are squeezed out of the market because they can't afford the extreme costs.

I used to update cards of my 10 PCs every couple of years. I hope my lowly GTX 1660 Tis that I didn't get to upgrade before they blasted prices into infinity will go the distance. Looks like upgrades will be every 6 years now :(

InvalidError

Titan
I still feel though that many buyers are squeezed out of the market because they can't afford the extreme costs.
If you have the choice between making 500k of something to earn $2000 a pop or making 1M of something to earn only $500 a pop and be sold-out either way, you net twice as much selling to half as many people.

The joys of a supply-limited market. It will get better next year when everyone migrates new high-end SKUs to 5nm but won't be back to normal until everyone's shiny new fabs are online and making progress chewing through backlogs in 2023.

I'm still using a GTX1050, a "lowly" 1660Ti would sound relatively good right about now. With some luck, the still unannounced desktop 3050(Ti) will be reasonably priced once the RTX4070-4090 have launched.

D

Deleted member 2783327

I guess they also figure that if they keep th eprices high sooner or later people will have to replace their old cards or go without a PC... or heaven forbid, use the iGPU. :)

I feel for you with the 1050. 😢

The GTX 1660 Ti really struggles with Runescape 3 (NXT). GPU runs at 80c and 100% a lot of the time and some load is being offloaded to the CPU which also runs at 60%+ And that's not running with ultra settings either When the user also has twitch and youtube open things lag terribly. When he's running that combo I can hear his fans and cooler from downstairs. He uses headphones to drown out the noise... That's what I meant by lowly.

InvalidError

Titan
Don't. Anyone still using a GPU that was a $100 bottom of the barrel card at release in 2016, entering 2020, is not a serious gamer.
Not my fault if neither AMD or Nvidia can be bothered releasing new sub-$200 GPUs worth a damn. Through the first ~15 years of gaming GPU history, lower-end GPUs used to progress just as fast if not faster than high-end models did especially after a node shrink and you didn't need to spend $1000 on a GPU to get decent gaming done, $150-200 was enough to get there. Today, you can't even get a 1650 Super new for $300, twice its launch price.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Not my fault if neither AMD or Nvidia can be bothered releasing new sub-$200 GPUs worth a damn. Through the first ~15 years of gaming GPU history, lower-end GPUs used to progress just as fast if not faster than high-end models did especially after a node shrink and you didn't need to spend $1000 on a GPU to get decent gaming done, $150-200 was enough to get there. Today, you can't even get a 1650 Super new for $300, twice its launch price.
I bought 2 4GB 5500XT's for $100 a piece new in May of last year. Those are more than twice as fast as a 1050. The 8GB versions were going for around $150. Even though your price range is exceedingly low, and not indicative of a serious gamer, there were still options available. There were definitely sub $200 options from Nvidia as well that would crush a 1050.

I bought 2 4GB 5500XT's for $100 a piece new in May of last year. Those are more than twice as fast as a 1050. The 8GB versions were going for around $150. Even though your price range is exceedingly low, and not indicative of a serious gamer, there were still options available. There were definitely sub $200 options from Nvidia as well that would crush a 1050.
5500xt were never 100 or even 150. You happened to get lucky and exceptions don't make a rule.

The 5500xt was 169 and 199 for the 4 and 8gb versions respectively.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
RTX 3050 Ti might be your card of choice if they produce them in any number. But I fear we won't recover from this price inflation. They'll certainly set the new normal at a higher price even when supply returns to normal. They kept testing the waters and people kept buying.

Once Intel shakes down, they might offer an interesting mid-range alternative that could drive prices down again.

I still kind of want a DG1 for my HTPC, but I don't really want to buy a whole desktop to get one.

InvalidError

Titan
RTX 3050 Ti might be your card of choice if they produce them in any number. But I fear we won't recover from this price inflation. They'll certainly set the new normal at a higher price even when supply returns to normal. They kept testing the waters and people kept buying.
The 3050(Ti) is what I am looking for and I don't expect it to be reasonably priced until the RTX4060+/RX7600+ have launched on 5nm. Prices for the lower-end will come down since AMD and Nvidia will need to compete against the second-hand market if they want to drive sales of their lower-end previous-gen 7/8nm parts.

The only reason we're in the situation we are in right now is because wafer demand greatly outstrips supply so manufacturers have no wafers to spare for relevant lower-end parts. This (hopefully) won't be the case anymore in 2023 with many (5+) completely new 3-7nm fabs just between Intel, TSMC and Samsung on top of process and throughput upgrades to existing fabs.

The industry as a whole should be in a much better place two years from now.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
5500xt were never 100 or even 150. You happened to get lucky and exceptions don't make a rule.

The 5500xt was 169 and 199 for the 4 and 8gb versions respectively.
They were that cheap at Dell for a while. It wasn't some holiday sale. Your prices were launch MSRP. $100 may not have been a common price, but it was not difficult to find AMD cards below MSRP before mining prices hit.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Not $200 regular price and the 1650 Super at $170 is only 70% faster, barely getting in the range where I would consider it worth bothering with.
A 2GB card hasn't been viable for gaming in years. Complaints from anyone running a card that outdated really rings hollow. Who said anything about "regular" price? Why would you buy at regular price when there were regular sales? I don't care about the jacked up prices now, a 1050 was 4 years old when prices shot up. and useless long before even that.

InvalidError

Titan
They were that cheap at Dell for a while. It wasn't some holiday sale. Your prices were launch MSRP. $100 may not have been a common price, but it was not difficult to find AMD cards below MSRP before mining prices hit.
Looking at 1-year pricing history on PCPartsPicker shows that the 4GB RX5500 has hardly ever been below $160 with most models not really dipping below $180.

InvalidError

Titan
That's below MSRP and comfortably below your $200 mark. Not sure what you're arguing here.
The 4GB RX5500 had a $170 MSRP and was hardly ever available at or below that price.

It also performs horribly on systems that only have PCIe 3.0 the second you exceed its 4GB VRAM vs the $160 GTX1650S which has full x16 and holds up much better when VRAM usage gets pushed. Except crypto came along and f'd up the prices before I got around to buying one.

I got my GTX1050 as GPU prices were starting to creep up in the previous crypto boom, paid almost $200 for it to replace my 1GB HD5770 after AMD discontinued driver support and low VRAM was causing severe artifacting in a bunch of games including WoW which I had just started playing again in Legion.