Custom hardware manufacturer

Mar 20, 2018
Hi guys right now i am working on my product ( a fully upgradeable all in one ) its still in concept stages i am starting my research and want to know if any one of you guys know about any brand that can build custom motherboard and a brand that cam supply touchscreen panels ( preferably hdr ) and some custom graphics cards ( something like sxm2 ) so i cam make the graphics card also upgradeable ???

Solution
Motherboard design layout, prototype manufacture (initial run of 15pcb's) and hardware licenceing will probably cost you about £10k, probably about the same for a GPU (using existing GPU silicon (AMD/Nvidia), big problem as GPUs are bga not socketed. You then face the problem of getting the first production batch manufactured, you'll have to find a great deal of the production/parts cost either upfront or on a proforma basis ( you pay as soon as the product is complete not on a 1 or 2 month credit invoice so you either have to have advance sales or a large bankroll. And that's just the start, there is also case design, test equipment and design, compatibility testing, soak testing, ess testing, emf testing and certification, ce...
"Custom" motherboard means that you have the design, correct?
"Custom" GOU means you have the design, correct?
If your concept idea is just a SolidWorks model, this is what you'll get - a model only.

Unless you plan to manufacture thousands of these (in China) - don't bother.
- gamers won't buy All-in-One, upgradeable or not.
- power users won't buy All-in-one
- for everyday users, there are HPs/Dells/Sonys/etc and you cant beat their prices.

racksmith101

Respectable
Motherboard design layout, prototype manufacture (initial run of 15pcb's) and hardware licenceing will probably cost you about £10k, probably about the same for a GPU (using existing GPU silicon (AMD/Nvidia), big problem as GPUs are bga not socketed. You then face the problem of getting the first production batch manufactured, you'll have to find a great deal of the production/parts cost either upfront or on a proforma basis ( you pay as soon as the product is complete not on a 1 or 2 month credit invoice so you either have to have advance sales or a large bankroll. And that's just the start, there is also case design, test equipment and design, compatibility testing, soak testing, ess testing, emf testing and certification, ce certification, product warranty and liability insurance and a whole load of other things to consider. I've worked in the electronics industry for 30 years so I know what's involved in getting a working product to market and it's not quick and definitely not cheap or easy.

Solution
Mar 20, 2018
Replying to racksmith101
I have my designs almost finalised and now will start contacting the manufacturers can you say how much it will cost approximately in the preproduction stage ??? Will it be better if i use other form factors like mxm or sxm2 or maybe just a pcie card with smaller pcb other then bga becasue the whole point of this all in is performance upgradeability

racksmith101

Respectable
When you say "Designs" do you mean the circuit diagrams and bill of materials or just general construction layout of the finished unit? If you havent got the circuit diagrams and PCB layout finalized then you need to talk to an electronics design engineer who is familiar with modern digital processor pcb design. It may take them at least a month to do the circuit designs and generate a bill of materials for your pcbs. The cost of this will depend on the amount of hours the designer has to spend on it but your looking at severall thousand pounds just for this stage. Remember that all the pcb's will have to interconnect with each other as well as to the enclosure so all that will have to be taken into account and may require severall re-designs before prototypes are built.

http://www.qualiecocircuits.co.nz/pcb-design-flowchart.htm

This may help.