[SOLVED] Custom HDD Storage Caddy Rack or Server Rack?

Sheev Palpatine

Prominent
Dec 20, 2019
For years I have wanted to make my own HDD caddy, like a computer tower but made out of HDD's, that have been lieing around. I have around 27 x 3.5 and 1 x 2.5, and I want to make a tower, have a PSU, connected up with sata, but the thing I need help with is connectivity to the main rig. I wanted it to connect via USB 3.0 or maybe a PCI card through SATA.

Yes I know I can buy caddys online, and yes I can buy external drives, but I have 1TB harddrives of space sitting here for years, all tested and pased everything with very little on time. I was considering of buying a server rack but I only want a cheap one, only one or two rigs will connect to it at one time.

Any suggestions or help would be gratefully appreciated.

popatim

Titan
How many drives were you thinking?

If you wanted to use most of them then I would use a Server chassis make a Nas out of it.
In addition to the Chassis, you need a small motherboard, processor, ram, Raid card (Flashed to IT mode if you don't want raid), and an expander card (to get more sata ports)

Sheev Palpatine

Prominent
Dec 20, 2019
How many drives were you thinking?

If you wanted to use most of them then I would use a Server chassis make a Nas out of it.
In addition to the Chassis, you need a small motherboard, processor, ram, Raid card (Flashed to IT mode if you don't want raid), and an expander card (to get more sata ports)
I wanted to use all of them, a fair bit of TB's.