navysealbrian

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
I want to make my own internal USB cables, both ends being 2x5 female USB headers. I found some 2x5 USB headers along with female pins on Performance-PCs, FrozenCPU also has some, but neither has any shielded wires. Looking at some internal USB cables I already have, I see that there is 28AWG written on the outer shielding, which both sites only sell 26AWG as there smallest. The ground looks like it's shielded, and I assume the data cables are also shielded, and then the entire cable is shielded afterwards. Looking around, I can't find any cables or tutorials regarding internal USB connections.

Can you actually buy this kind of cable from a site, about 15' of it?

I looked around and the only thing I could think of is buying a regular external USB (any thing without micro connectors) cable. Then I'd cut the ends off, cut it to length, strip the ends, crimp the female pins, and set the pins into the 2x5 headers. Is that how you make a new internal USB cable? Will this apply to Firewire also? I don't want to buy a cable and butcher it only to find out the end result won't work.