Custom liquid cooling system looking to upgrade from 2xHD6950s

jlstim87

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015
I built a custom liquid cooling machine back in early 2011 to cool both my CPU and both my GPUs. I've recently done a rather large overhaul, replacing motherboard, CPU, and a view other odds and ends, but my Graphics Cards (2x HD 6950 2GB in Crossfire) are really starting to become an issue, so time to upgrade!

Since I designed this liquid cooling system with a top and bottom mounted radiator, as well as a 150ml tube style reservoir, whichever GPU I end up going with will need to have a water block cooling it. After having been plagued by AMDs horrible crossfire issues and since from what I've read they haven't seemed to really update their hardware since 2013, I'd like to make the switch to Nvidia. I am looking at getting the Gigabyte GTX 970 WF 4GB card, along with the EK full cover water block and backplate. It hits my budget right on the mark at around 500 bucks and I could always add another later on in SLI if I needed the performance boost.

I have 3x 27" ASUS LED Monitors that support 1920x1080 with refresh rates of 75hz and all support DisplayPort 1.2 connections. When I am gaming I only use one, but l am a developer so when I am coding I need all 3 screens.

Looking for any advice on whether this is a good choice or if AMD offers something better for my situation, or if I should just save up for something better?

My Rig:
NZXT Switch 810 (Black)
ASUS Z97-PRO Motherboard
Intel i5-4690K CPU
Corsair HX1050 PSU
16GB (4x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1866 DDR3 RAM
XSPC EX360 Radiator (top mount)
Swiftech HP240 Radiator (bottom Mount)
EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block (black)
Swifttech 655-PWM Pump
EK Acrylic Pump Top
BitsPower 150ml tube resevoir