manuuuu

Prominent
Apr 3, 2019
I bought a year ago my first custom water loop kit (EK-Waterblocks EK-KIT P360) and it's time the change the liquid but it has no drain port. I was wondering if I could turn the PC upside down and drain it from the top of the reservoir+pump combo? If I just put a fitting in the top + a piece of tube, cause my case is Corsair Carbide 600C Inverse so the radiator is at the bottom of the case and when I turn the case upside down, top of the reservoir is going to be the lowest point.

Here's image of the loop and the reservoir:
View: https://imgur.com/KtQny65

Thanks for any help!

Solution
Take a fitting with a length of soft-tube attached and screw it into the top of the reservoir.

Tilt the case on its back, that'll put the res nipple on the downside. Crack open the seal on the rad inlet/outlet to allow air to enter the system. Allow it to drain as much as possible, reseal the rad.

If after flipping, you have access to secondary port seal under the rad, open those as they'll be the high points. You'll need to wiggle the loop around some to empty the full loop as much as possible.

Worst case will be sealing up the return at the pump and running the pump while flushing the reservoir, allowing the drain from the rad. Pastels just make this procedure so much more difficult as the sediment is more vicious and chunky and...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Take a fitting with a length of soft-tube attached and screw it into the top of the reservoir.

Tilt the case on its back, that'll put the res nipple on the downside. Crack open the seal on the rad inlet/outlet to allow air to enter the system. Allow it to drain as much as possible, reseal the rad.

If after flipping, you have access to secondary port seal under the rad, open those as they'll be the high points. You'll need to wiggle the loop around some to empty the full loop as much as possible.

Worst case will be sealing up the return at the pump and running the pump while flushing the reservoir, allowing the drain from the rad. Pastels just make this procedure so much more difficult as the sediment is more vicious and chunky and sticks to everything.

Reactions: manuuuu
Solution

manuuuu

Prominent
Apr 3, 2019
Thank you for the answer! I think I'm going to buy everything that I need for the drain port and install it after I have drained the system so next time it will be easier to drain. I'm wondering if I should just switch the 360mm radiator to 240mm so I can put it in front of the case or is it smarter to buy new case where I can mount the radiator on top of the case 🤔 I'm planning to install new cpu and motherboard at the same time when I drain my system.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
My case will have a bottom mount rad, it's very common. Makes life a little more difficult. But, kinda have to look at the fittings and arrangement. Normally the drain is the lowest point in the loop, even if it means splitting a low hose to do so. But that assumes an upright pc. If you put the drain on a T right at the rad - res output fitting and tilt the pc on its nose, the T then becomes the low point and helps drain the rad. You'll still need to fiddle, a rad is U shaped unless you have an X flow style.

So it can take a little planning.

Reactions: manuuuu