[SOLVED] Custom pc help

kacpercusen

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2015
Hi all,
I have a pc I built when the gtx 970 came out, equipped with an i5-4690k and 8GB ram (no ssd) and I'm struggling to run games such as cold war which takes 20 minutes to exit and warzone which lags on 720p lowest settings, it never used to be like this, what do I need to upgrade?

Solution
You are well within the recommended hardware for Warzone...
Might be a bit short on the RAM aspect, but the issue also could be for overall system snappiness, which happens if there are too many background tasks running or excessive multitasking.

Here's how I would go about it....
@ Open Task Manager and then identify and end all irrelevant(non Window) tasks running during the game.
@ If that doesn't help, then install something like Razor Cortex or some alternative of that.
@ If that doesn't help, then format Windows and try the game. At this stage it should be running fine.

If all of the above fails, then you have to look at hardware...
You are well within the recommended hardware for Warzone...
Might be a bit short on the RAM aspect, but the issue also could be for overall system snappiness, which happens if there are too many background tasks running or excessive multitasking.

Here's how I would go about it....
@ Open Task Manager and then identify and end all irrelevant(non Window) tasks running during the game.
@ If that doesn't help, then install something like Razor Cortex or some alternative of that.
@ If that doesn't help, then format Windows and try the game. At this stage it should be running fine.

If all of the above fails, then you have to look at hardware upgrade like adding more RAM and/or SSD.

On a side note, sometimes performance lags due to HDD health. So check SMART data as well...
https://in.pcmag.com/gallery/120758/how-to-check-your-hard-drives-health

Last edited:
Solution

kacpercusen

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2015
My hdd's are fine, I'm on a budget but I ordered a ryzen + mobo + ssd + 16gb ram so hopefully it will be much better, but at the same time is this overkill? I just want to be able to play, and exit games without my pc being soft bricked for 20 min