Custom PC Makers Offer XP Until Mid-2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

mforce2

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
Actually I've never been a Vista fan. However having tried the x64 version I must admit it's OK.
I'm not really overwhelmed by the features , I don't find it a revolutionary product but after so many patches and updates I would say it's at a level where it's as stable as XP.
However this is on a decent PC with new hardware , common hardware and used for usual tasks and programs. Others may not be as lucky as me.
I'm not going to give up Linux with KDE for Windows because I still find Linux to be my kind of thing but still , Vista is OK.
Only problem with Vista is that it's a resource hog and it doesn't really bring many new features people need. If it weren't for that I think they could have killed XP a long time ago.

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
Well for gaming performance, I have to say that XP is still superior to Vista, even on modern hardware. I think gamers, particularly shooter players, care more about frames per second than they do about slightly better water reflections. Here's hoping that Windows 7 fixes some of those problems.

MoonMe2

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
This comp is a pre-engineered Gateway, Vista64, SP1. I waited for the service pack because of the gaming compatablilty issues. I'm glad I did. I have nothing to major to compain about except a crappy motherboard battery.(All kinds of wierd problems). Some programs still have to be launched as administrator, but no biggie. But the OS? Rock solid.

squatchman

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
I'm guessing that the people who perceive a performance difference(>5-10 fps) between Vista and XP are either on a pre-2006 computer or running less than four gigs of RAM. At that point, why are they even bothering to install Vista on a dinosaur anyway?

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Unless you have a really shitty computer or you run old, incompatible software, then there's really no reason to use XP instead of Vista.

_____A-L-E-X_____

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2007
XP is MUCH better than Vista. Vista is ME to XP's 98 SE. And those Mojave commercials were concocted to make MS look good. Many people still resent MS for making DX10 a requirement in Vista and the original intent to discontinue OpenGL compatibility. I would NEVER get Vista, and my computer is only a year old. Windows 7-- maybe. As a general rule, never "upgrade" to the next OS, but always skip a generation. This is good strategy for other electronics as well, such as computer hardware, digital cameras, etc.

BTW here's my current config: Q6600, 8800GTS 640MB SSC, 2GB DDR2 Im perfectly happy with XP. My rule with OS's is "be seen and not heard." Who the hell cares about all those stupid extra features of Vista, when an OS main job is just to remain stable, not use resources that arent vital, or the extra flash which is totally unnecessary. MS wised up and knows most people dont like and dont want Vista. Anyone saying "people are following the herd" is just plain ignorant-- many of us tried Vista-- and REJECTED it. MS go back to the drawing board and get it right next time and try not to be so greedy and force stuff down people's throats that they dont want or need.

The Rejection of Vista is a great victory by the people against tyrannical corporate monopolies :) This is a great moment in history!

squatchman

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
Sounds like someone is drinking his own kool aid.

Microsoft is going to do the same thing with Vista that they did with Windows NT: Repackage it as a new operating system until people say it is awesome(NT to 2000 to XP).

Koolaid man... maybe you should get another two gigs of ram. They're giving the stuff away in cereal boxes these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.