Custom PC Miracast?

Pikkon38

Commendable
Feb 20, 2016
Hey all, I built a custom PC using an AMD A10-5800k APU. I read that this is capable of doing miracast. What I did not realize was that I required a wireless networking card that could support WiFi Direct. I have been trying to research wifi cards with wifi direct and how to make it work, but it seems like there is not a lot of information for getting miracast working on a custom pc. Does anyone know how to get this working? or of a wifi card that would work for this? Thanks in advanced!

Solution
i did a ton of rsearch on this recently and figured out that this is basically built into the wifi spec so most of the newer ac cards should work. i bought the netgear A6210 and it worked fine for miracast.

keep in mind that this feature is built into win 10 and was a beta feature on win 8.1 so it won't be available on other os's. you also need something on the other end that is miracast capable to complete the circuit. i could not get my roku stick to work with it despite being able to connect phones and tablets (it is also built into android) to the roku stick. win 10 won't do it though i did get it connected to my phone and tablets..

overall this is still a thing in progress so it is still rather buggy but when it works it is...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i did a ton of rsearch on this recently and figured out that this is basically built into the wifi spec so most of the newer ac cards should work. i bought the netgear A6210 and it worked fine for miracast.

keep in mind that this feature is built into win 10 and was a beta feature on win 8.1 so it won't be available on other os's. you also need something on the other end that is miracast capable to complete the circuit. i could not get my roku stick to work with it despite being able to connect phones and tablets (it is also built into android) to the roku stick. win 10 won't do it though i did get it connected to my phone and tablets..

overall this is still a thing in progress so it is still rather buggy but when it works it is nice to use.

Solution

Pikkon38

Commendable
Feb 20, 2016

Ah okay. I will give that wifi stick a shot, thanks for that! It being built into the wifi spec makes sense as to why I couldn't find anything. I am using win10 and the Microsoft miracast receiver, so I should be good on that front.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
yah you should be fine.

i was down to reading about specific wifi chips inside the adapters to figure out what should be compatible and hit dead ends on all sides :(

but after calling MS and asking about it, they really did not know any specific models, the suggested that newer cards should pretty much all be compatible so i went with a solid AC adapter to be sure. i do like the adapter anyway as it is a pretty good one. the usb 2 version is about $20 cheaper but i got the 3.0 one for about $50

deadheaddraven

Reputable
Sep 23, 2015
sorry for a question on an old thread but I'm trying to get miracast working on my desktop PC

If I get a Netgear A6210 can I still use my wired connection for internet and just use the dongle so I can project via miracast?