Custom PC won't boot, black screen - suspect HDD or SSD

thepoplr

Prominent
Aug 31, 2017
Sorry if my post is light on technical details, I'm still quite new to this. All parts are around 1 year, 9 months old apart from my newer GPU and this is the first major problem I've had with it. Here's my build:

CPU
■ Intel - Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler
■Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard
■ Gigabyte - GA-Z97P-D3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory
■ Patriot - Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
■ Kingston - HyperX Beast 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory

Storage
■ SanDisk - Z400s 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (OS is installed on this one)
■ Toshiba - Product Series-DT01ACA 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card
■ EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Founders Edition Video Card

Case
■ Deepcool - TESSERACT SW ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply
■ EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Optical Drive
■ Lite-On - iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer

Operating System
■ Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit

Here's the problem: Came back home after having been away a few days with the PC turned off (normally I just leave it on overnight). When I booted it up it was running extremely slow. I was going to do some basic maintenance stuff, run a virus check and delete some unnecessary files but it was taking forever and eventually crashed and I had to reset. When it was booting back up I heard a nasty clunking noise. I got the windows logo with the text "preparing automatic repair" but after leaving this for several hours it hadn't moved on so I did another reset. This time after my initial BIOS start screen I just get a black screen. After some googling I thought that the clunking noise on start up probably meant that my HDD was the problem so I tried detaching that as it's just for storage, my OS is installed on the SSD. This time on startup, after loading for an age gave me a blue screen that said something along the lines of "Windows driver_______ not found" (I didn't take a note of it at the time because I thought if I had to check it I could replicate it easily). I then tried to boot from my Windows 10 disc to see if I could do a repair or if I had to reinstall but when I went to the boot menu I saw that my SSD now wasn't listed. I tried putting it in different SATA ports but still nothing so now I don't even have anything to install the OS on. It seems like both my HDD and SSD have failed at the same time which is gutting as I stupidly haven't backed up my data and haven't the money to replace both right now. Is there anything more I can do? (I don't have access to another PC to test parts on apart from the old laptop I'm using right now)