[SOLVED] Custom startup noice for PC?

Frostelus

Honorable
May 23, 2017
Forgive me for this odd question, but was wondering if there's some kind of speaker module or custom power button that can make a custom noice whenever you press the power button on your PC?
I know there are those mini speakers for motherboards that beeps all the time, but those seem to be more for errors and such.
What I'm referring to is something similar to what Xbox has were their consoles makes a unique startup chime whenever you press the power button or eject discs.
Some of the special edition consoles has custom sound effects as well as seen in this video: All Xbox limited edition new sound startup button through years 2010-2019 - YouTube
I'm not sure if such module exist or if it's even possible to replicate this for a custom PC build, but I still think it would be cool if your PC could make some special noise whenever the power button is being pressed. Something to personalize ones PC even further

Last edited:
Solution
Still, that's not what I'm looking for, however. I don't intend on changing the bios nor any of the internal components of the motherboard. The PC will startup as normal. I'm just looking for an external device that simply plays a sound on its own whenever the PC power button is pressed. No PC speakers or OS is involved. Just an external module, like a DYI kit or something, if such exist.
Something like this might work:
https://www.compuphase.com/mp3/h0440_en.htm

"It can respond on various inputs: switches, digital I/O, RS232, SPI. "

"...a switch press can start playing a track "

Frostelus

Honorable
May 23, 2017
Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Not quite. That's the internal sound from the operative system itself. What I mean is an external sound module that makes a noise whenever the power button is being pressed. Just like the consoles does in the video link I posted
On a console, the OS is tied much more closely to the hardware.
So that startup sound IS from the xBox OS. Or it is hardcoded into a BIOS chip.

You can't change PC BIOS sound like that. It is a series of impulses generated by BIOS itself and sent to speaker output. And not a playback of audio file. If you want a computer with some melodic tune blaring on turning on, get a Mac.

Or if you doesn't hesitate to get your hands dirty in DIY way, you can play custom audio file through Arduino when computer is turned on. Check this project for idea what you should do. Would not hurt to read output from PC speaker pins too to know are POST is completed successfully.

Frostelus

Honorable
May 23, 2017
You can't change PC BIOS sound like that. It is a series of impulses generated by BIOS itself and sent to speaker output. And not a playback of audio file. If you want a computer with some melodic tune blaring on turning on, get a Mac.

Or if you doesn't hesitate to get your hands dirty in DIY way, you can play custom audio file through Arduino when computer is turned on. Check this project for idea what you should do. Would not hurt to read output from PC speaker pins too to know are POST is completed successfully.

I never said I wanted to change the BIOS nor do I want the sound to come from the OS itself.
A Mac isn't helpful either because that just misses the whole point of custom PC build.
What I'm talking about is an external module that simply just makes a sound when the PC power button is pressed. Basically something similar to the DIY Arduino you mentioned. It has nothing to do with the internals or softwares at all.

Last edited:

Frostelus

Honorable
May 23, 2017
On a console, the OS is tied much more closely to the hardware.
So that startup sound IS from the xBox OS. Or it is hardcoded into a BIOS chip.
Yeah you would have to modify to bios I believe change the sound the speaker would make on post
Still, that's not what I'm looking for, however. I don't intend on changing the bios nor any of the internal components of the motherboard. The PC will startup as normal. I'm just looking for an external device that simply plays a sound on its own whenever the PC power button is pressed. No PC speakers or OS is involved. Just an external module, like a DIY kit or something

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Still, that's not what I'm looking for, however. I don't intend on changing the bios nor any of the internal components of the motherboard. The PC will startup as normal. I'm just looking for an external device that simply plays a sound on its own whenever the PC power button is pressed. No PC speakers or OS is involved. Just an external module, like a DYI kit or something, if such exist.
Something like this might work:
https://www.compuphase.com/mp3/h0440_en.htm

"It can respond on various inputs: switches, digital I/O, RS232, SPI. "

"...a switch press can start playing a track "

Solution

Frostelus

Honorable
May 23, 2017