Custom water cooled CPU is showing insane temps but I can't tell if it's throttling.

Freddysquiggles

Reputable
Jul 23, 2017
I've recently installed a custom water cooling loop in my pc, at load the graphics card seems to stay at a solid 48C when the fans are turned to 100%. However, my CPU is showing some insane temperatures that jumps between 60C to 100C VERY rapidly. However task manager shows no sign of the cpu slowing down. I'm unsure of whether or not the temps are wrong or the sensor is wrong. Is the temperature variance normal on my CPU? Also, speedfan is displaying temperatures at least 20 degrees less than Msi afterburner, which one should I trust? Any and all help would be appreciated, thank you.

System Specs:
i7 7700k oc 4.75ghz
gtx 1080ti FE oc 2050mhz
Asus z270e Mobo
Corsair Ax 860 platinum psu
corsair lpx 16gb ram
360mm EK rad
280mm Alphacool rad

Solution
i mostly use HWInfo64 to monitor the temps.
regarding your temps, if it's peak - 48C for overclocked 1080ti is OK. 25C idle, guess your room temperature is around 20C. I'd expect under 45C average for gaming.

regarding your CPU, use the link from my post to do the testing. CPU temperature during gaming will jump as the load is not constant.
after testing, you can adjust the CPU overclock or even go as far as deliding the CPU as the 7700K is known to have thermal issues due to shitty thermal paste under IHS.

Freddysquiggles

Reputable
Jul 23, 2017

Thank you for your reply, however, what was troubling me was that core temp, msi afterburner, and speed fan were all displaying different temperatures, so as long as I don't feel degrading performance I should be okay right? Also, I don't understand why 48C is a bit high for an overclocked 1080ti, since most temps I see online are usually in the mid 50s with custom water cooling. I'm also using low rpm static pressure fans designed for silence, but I have 2 radiators, a 360mm and a 280mm.

if your fans max speed is under 1400RPM, and your room temperature is over 30C - 48C for GPU makes sense.
BTW, SP fans are not made equal. IRL, you want both airflow and pressure. otherwise it's pointless.
Haven't found better fans for radiator than noctua

Freddysquiggles

Reputable
Jul 23, 2017

Well that's not the issue that I'm worried about, and to clarify, I'm talking about max load temperatures, running fire strike or a game that requires all my graphics power. At idle the card sits at 25C on average, with fans set at 10%. If you still think that 48C is unreasonable, can you propose what I may be doing wrong? Also, if I may ask, what software do you use to monitor your internal temperatures?Thank you.

biglizard

Respectable
Apr 1, 2016

I've found Afterburner to be less than reliable for CPU temps.

I would install HWINFO 64 and see what program its closest too. Afterburner can be dialed in with temp offsets.

i mostly use HWInfo64 to monitor the temps.
regarding your temps, if it's peak - 48C for overclocked 1080ti is OK. 25C idle, guess your room temperature is around 20C. I'd expect under 45C average for gaming.

regarding your CPU, use the link from my post to do the testing. CPU temperature during gaming will jump as the load is not constant.
after testing, you can adjust the CPU overclock or even go as far as deliding the CPU as the 7700K is known to have thermal issues due to shitty thermal paste under IHS.

Solution