Custom Water Cooling Parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
Where is a good parts list for a custom water cooling setup?

Also I need some good coolant choices (I would like clear tubing so I can change the coolants color) or I kinda wonna mix coolants to be AWESOME and I would like it to be all sockets compatible (I have AM3+ now but I want to get haswell).

Read the sticky.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/277130-29-read-first-watercooling-sticky
Also we need more info than that, is this purely a CPU loop or will there be GPU's as well? What case do you have? What is your budget? Are you overclocking?
Hell, even what components you have.

For coolants you want to be running plain distilled water, dyes in the coolant can inhibit cooling performance. If you want colour, get coloured tubing.

Also you cant ensure compatibility with Haswell, as it isnt released so manufacturers dont know the mounting configuration on it. But I wouldnt be concerned, if it does change from what LGA1156 has, the manufacturer will most likely release a $5 backplate that will work with the new mounting holes.

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

Ok, well I really maybe at most will have $200 but I'm not watercooling ANYTHING else then my CPU.

I'm trying to find the parts but I might give up and get a H100, I don't know what to get.

$200 is enough for an entry level watercooling kit, going fully custom on that budget will be somewhat hard.
I advise looking into the XSPC Raystorm kits, preferably with the EX rads if its affordable.

What case do you have? As without modding or external mounting that will dictate your rad size.

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

A Cooler Master HAF 912, my current cooler is a hard to clear Cooler Master 812 which is giant and makes it hard to manage cables in the case.

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

So, is there any specific kit you can send me the link to?

Also, is it like you mix things like anti mold stuff into water to make the coolant?

So the max rad size the case can support is a 240mm, which is enough for a CPU only loop.
Then I advise this kit.
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16891/ex-wat-219/XSPC_Raystorm_750_RS240_Extreme_Universal_CPU_Water_Cooling_Kit_w_Free_Dead-Water.html?tl=g30c321s1310
Not the best radiator (would have picked the EX series, but for some reason that adds on more than $100) but it will be fine.

It will come with everything you need for a CPU only loop, except for Coolant [strike](ignore the free Deadwater, you dont want any pre-mixed coolant)[/strike] and some anti-microbial solution.

For the Coolant. Plain Distiled water is recommended and can be found at most supermarkets, is also available from FrozenCPU.
For Anti-Microbial solutions, you have a two options to choose from.
1. A Biocide, its a chemical that kills any bacteria or Algae that may grow in the loop.
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/17710/ex-liq-291/Mayhems_Biocide_Extreme_-_10mL.html?tl=g30c103s186
EDIT: Just realized that the Deadwater is actually Biocide, not a coolant.
2. A Kill-Coil, basically a small strip of silver that also kills bacteria/algae. Drop it into the reservoir and your good. This is what I use since you dont have to re-apply every time you open up the loop.
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11441/ex-tub-705/IandH_Silver_KillCoils_-_Antimicrobial_999_Fine_Silver_Tubing_Reservoir_Strip.html?tl=g30c103s186

I also suggest you get some kind on drain valve or T-Line on the loop, makes emptying, maintaining and upgrading the loop later on a lot easier.

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

So, I can just order that kit and pick out one of the anti mold things (I saw something about that and I wanted the chemical one but I think silver would be easier, after all my CPU is using AS5)?

The Biocide you apply to the water in the loop, how much will depend on the Biocide you pick and how much water is in the loop. It doesnt replace your thermal paste.

I suggest researching a bit more into water-cooling before you buy anything. Just that me telling you what to get isn't really going to help you, its much better if you understand all the concepts and such rather than just follow what I say. Because ultimately it will be you building, maintaining and eventually upgrading the loop. First place to start would be the sticky I posted above, then the Internet at large.

Also I would wait a bit before buying it anyway. There are other people on this forum who know more than I do about water-cooling, having more experienced eyes looking at this cant be a bad thing.

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

I was going to get AS5 for my thermal paste, what I trying to say is that my cooling would have 2 parts with silver in it. I understand (ok, I kinda understand) how to install the water cooling.

thequn

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2012
melikepie you really need to read everything in the sticky that man posted. This is not something you go into with out doing the research.

As5 is a good TIM as long as you burn it in for a few days before you compare it with other types.
The sliver in the TIM will never be inside the watercooling system so that not an issue. As for the sliver kill coil i shy away from them they end up clogging my loop. so I use PT nuke or a Uv dye with bioside additive at 25% of the recommended solution. Most experts on the site use kill coil and distilled water only. some people like to use dyes like my self. for you first i say its better to be safe then sorry but you can make up your own mind and also know that most coolants are 99% distilled water anyway so you paying $14.99 for something that's you can get locally for$ 2.00.

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

Gosh, IM NOT PUTING AS5 IN MY WATER COOLING SYSTEM THATS ONLY FOR TIM.

These Are The Tutorials I Watched:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

thequn

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2012
Well it possible I never bought that one but I have bought 7 or so xspc kitsa 420 kit. a few 360kits and a few 240 kits all with d5 pumps and they all have came with one.

Best to email frozen Pc and ask them.

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

Maybe both, the last thing I want to do is clean mold out of my pump in my computer (it fells wrong to say pump and computer at the same time).

Status
Not open for further replies.