[SOLVED] custom watercooling loop

culzone

Honorable
Apr 27, 2016
Is the cpu suppose to run hotter than the GPU in a custom loop?
I have 2st 240 rads running with a reso and pump.
Im running a 8700k delidded @ 4.7ghz 1.25v
And a 2080 ti with waterblock, standard clocks

The 2080 ti maxes out at around 55C
and the cpu hits 75-80C
I know these temps are within the "safe" limit however..
Isn't the GPU suppose to be hotter than the cpu? And if so, how can I fix it?

Solution
Maybe it doesn't have it since it's PWM capable. Most of the older D5's have the little switch. Mine is set way down inside my case, but I thought it had one...I'd have to disassemble a lot to check.

It normally looks something like this - the little red dial on the back, although this also shows the RPM sensor tail along with MOLEX power:
t0SvuK1.jpg

Disconnecting the PWM control from the motherboard would trigger the pump to run at full speed, or set the fan curve to always be 100%,
No in any of my cooling loops the GPU was always cooler then the CPU.

Can you post a picture of your loop, something doesnt seem right. You should be getting a lot better temps on your CPU then that at 4.7Ghz. Im running a delidded 8700k with liquid metal 5.1Ghz @ 1.36v on a Cryorig R1 ultimate and it maxes out at low 80's

culzone

Honorable
Apr 27, 2016
View: https://imgur.com/a/HGtTktV

A little dusty! :D
Bare in mind my first ever custom loop made ;)
do you think the second radiator turned to the back gets "choked"? there are only small intake on the back there of the case, I will send a picture of that also
tried comparing with the backpanel on and off a few minutes each and the temps were 2-3C difference, for that short period of time.

Last edited:
Have you tried seeing what your temps are with the glass side panel off?

Looking at the fans it looks like your running air in from the bottom and out the back and side. One issue i see with this is your heating the air with the lower radiator and then using the same air to try and cool the second radiator with it.

culzone

Honorable
Apr 27, 2016
Have you tried seeing what your temps are with the glass side panel off?

Looking at the fans it looks like your running air in from the bottom and out the back and side. One issue i see with this is your heating the air with the lower radiator and then using the same air to try and cool the second radiator with it.
temps with glass side off is no difference than with it on
And about the fan configuration is there any configuration you got in mind? I had a struggle when thinking of it when I built the pc

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
CPU core temps can spike like that, but mostly depends on what you are running to load the CPU and GPU.

What are you using to load both? Is it gaming or are you running synthetic benchmarks, etc?

When load is dropped back to idle, do CPU and GPU temps drop very quickly back down, or are they sluggish to respond?

Loop order does not matter, but curious if your pump speed is set to 100%? How about fan speed on the radiators?

culzone

Honorable
Apr 27, 2016
CPU core temps can spike like that, but mostly depends on what you are running to load the CPU and GPU.

What are you using to load both? Is it gaming or are you running synthetic benchmarks, etc?

When load is dropped back to idle, do CPU and GPU temps drop very quickly back down, or are they sluggish to respond?

Loop order does not matter, but curious if your pump speed is set to 100%? How about fan speed on the radiators?
Im testing with prime95 small ffts
the temps drop really fast when load is dropped.
tbh im not sure at all what my pump speed is at, gonna take a further look into it.
The fan speeds are set to "turbo" pretty much, aggressive.
This is the pump combo I have:
EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM (incl. sl. pump)

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Yeah, I knew it was an EK D5 pump, mine looks identical to it.

It can be PWM managed and there is also a speed dial on the bottom - ranges from 1-5. I just have mine set to 5 and the power connector added. I don't use PWM on pumps...better off to use that for radiator fans.

Reactions: culzone

culzone

Honorable
Apr 27, 2016
Yeah, I knew it was an EK D5 pump, mine looks identical to it.

It can be PWM managed and there is also a speed dial on the bottom - ranges from 1-5. I just have mine set to 5 and the power connector added. I don't use PWM on pumps...better off to use that for radiator fans.
I might be a little stupid but, I cannot find this level 1 to 5 button underneath :D
EDIT: Found it.

Last edited:

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Maybe it doesn't have it since it's PWM capable. Most of the older D5's have the little switch. Mine is set way down inside my case, but I thought it had one...I'd have to disassemble a lot to check.

It normally looks something like this - the little red dial on the back, although this also shows the RPM sensor tail along with MOLEX power:
t0SvuK1.jpg

Disconnecting the PWM control from the motherboard would trigger the pump to run at full speed, or set the fan curve to always be 100%,

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Cpu has its own load, as does the gpu. They aren't the same load, cpu is dissecting code, running AV, churning Windows etc and the gpu isn't. They are also different chips entirely, usually different nm process, different power draws, different entirely on the inside and how cores and voltages are reacting. The gpu is also direct-die to the block, the cpu has thermal interface of some sort and an IHS in between the die and the block. That's not even mentioning the actual amount of cores working or not working at any given moment.

So temps of the actual chip are going to be different in comparison. Sometimes the cpu will be hotter, sometimes the gpu.

culzone

Honorable
Apr 27, 2016

t0SvuK1.jpg

Found it :) Im running now at 100 pump speed and after 15min of prime95 im maxxing out 73C does this sound more in the range i should be in?
Before I maxxed out 80C really fast
this is while having a 8700k @ 4.7ghz 1.25v
23C ambient temperature

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Karadjgne is also very correct in some great points I didn't really get into:

Cpu has its own load, as does the gpu. They aren't the same load, cpu is dissecting code, running AV, churning Windows etc and the gpu isn't. They are also different chips entirely, usually different nm process, different power draws, different entirely on the inside and how cores and voltages are reacting. The gpu is also direct-die to the block, the cpu has thermal interface of some sort and an IHS in between the die and the block. That's not even mentioning the actual amount of cores working or not working at any given moment.

Glad to see you found the speed control...I would have been surprised if it was no longer present...I thought mine also had it, but it's been a while since I looked at it. That pump is perfectly fine running 100% speed. I have an older D5 that I used for 6 years, on and off every day and it still works great....its just used for testing now, the new D5 is used for my actual rig.