[SOLVED] Custom windows 10 install freezes at MOBO screen

Sep 5, 2020
Hello everyone i am posting because I'm desperate and i feel I've tried everything. I built my new computer specs are below

MOBO: MSI MAG b550 Tomahawk
CPU: ryzen 5 3600
RAM: Corsair vengeance 2×8gb
GPU: MSI RTX 2070 SUPER
HDD: 1tb seagate barracuda
CPU Cooler: ID cooling auraflow 240

My issue is with my windows 10 install. Everything boots up fine fans work and everything and I'm able to get to my bios. I created a windows 10 install on usb and begin my install to my 1tb hdd. I set my boot options to the usb first then the hdd second. Begin windows custom install, delete partitions on hdd for fresh install, click next not new, install begins and gets devices ready and computer restarts, after reboot the motherboard screen appears and windows circles at bottom of screen begin spinning for a bit then just stop. I am able to see mouse on screen when i move it but it stays frozen.
I have tried everything it seems to try and fix this. I've tried booting up with 1 ram stick, I've rest CMOS, updated bios, tried a different usb and a different harddrive for the installs, tried turning off system before it restarts, different sata and usb ports, unplugged all peripherals and internet. I have not tried taking everything a part but I've had this issue before and was able to fix but i cant remember how so i dont think taking everything apart will fix it. Please someone help!

Solution
Can i fix my ram if theres errors or do i need new ones? I've gotten this exact build to work before with the exact same specs so i know everything is compatible. I had this exact same issue too but i fix it somehow i cant remember how though without ever running memtest.
It depends. If your RAM is at stock speeds and voltages, then it is probably just bad. If it is clocked above 2133, then it might be a bad overclock. Reset to stock speeds and retry. Although, you would probably have to RMA both sticks, it could just be one is bad. You can test them individually to eliminate that possibility.
You could also try reseating the DIMMs if you have errors.
Sep 5, 2020
Have you verified the stability of your motherboard/RAM with MEMTEST86 ? A few hours of that BEFORE attempting your Windows install is always a good idea.
I have not tried it but I've used the exact same ram with the same motherboard before and it worked. I just recently got it back from RMA to fix a rgb issue. Can i use memtest 86 even without being able to log into windows?

Sep 5, 2020
ZERO errors after 2 complete passes. That is several hours of run time.
Can i fix my ram if theres errors or do i need new ones? I've gotten this exact build to work before with the exact same specs so i know everything is compatible. I had this exact same issue too but i fix it somehow i cant remember how though without ever running memtest.

kanewolf

Titan
It depends. If your RAM is at stock speeds and voltages, then it is probably just bad. If it is clocked above 2133, then it might be a bad overclock. Reset to stock speeds and retry. Although, you would probably have to RMA both sticks, it could just be one is bad. You can test them individually to eliminate that possibility.
You could also try reseating the DIMMs if you have errors.

Reactions: i77anoize
Solution