Customer Service

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

The March issue of Consumer Reports, which came out last week, included a
survey of 4,100 consumers, who gave Dell 62 points out of a possible 100 for
its support on desktop PCs. Although it still managed to top competing
brands Hewlett-Packard and Compaq, which scored 54 and 51, respectively,
Dell's rating represented a decline from the magazine's last desktop support
survey, published in June 2003, in which it received a 64.

"Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:

> The March issue of Consumer Reports, which came out last week, included a
>survey of 4,100 consumers, who gave Dell 62 points out of a possible 100 for
>its support on desktop PCs. Although it still managed to top competing
>brands Hewlett-Packard and Compaq, which scored 54 and 51, respectively,
>Dell's rating represented a decline from the magazine's last desktop support
>survey, published in June 2003, in which it received a 64.

What did HP and Compaq get in the June 2003 survey?
--
OJ III

Dogface wrote:

> Hmmm... don't recall seeing that in the Dell ads either.
> Shouldn't buyers expect what they have been promised?
> Namely "award winning support"?
>
> So the cheaper Dell system buyers get support fair to bad support.
> The middle of the line buyers get mediocre support.
> The top of the line buyers get the best support.
> I doubt that is the Dell service model.

When I bring my Toyota in for service, the service is just
as expected... Very good.

When my wife brings her Lexus in for service, not only is
the service very good, they give her a loaner, wash her car,
and numerous other "pluses."

Do ya think it might be because she spent more money?

Notan

Absolutely. Read my previous post to this thread.

> Dogface wrote:
> >
> > Hmmm... don't recall seeing that in the Dell ads either.
> > Shouldn't buyers expect what they have been promised?
> > Namely "award winning support"?
> >
> > So the cheaper Dell system buyers get support fair to bad support.
> > The middle of the line buyers get mediocre support.
> > The top of the line buyers get the best support.
> > I doubt that is the Dell service model.
>
> When I bring my Toyota in for service, the service is just
> as expected... Very good.
>
> When my wife brings her Lexus in for service, not only is
> the service very good, they give her a loaner, wash her car,
> and numerous other "pluses."
>
> Do ya think it might be because she spent more money?
>
> Notan

dogface

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2005

Except home buyers of expensive systems get low level service as well.
It is not what they paid, it is their status as a "home buyer" that sends
determines their level of non-service.

Dogface wrote:

> Except home buyers of expensive systems get low level service as well.
> It is not what they paid, it is their status as a "home buyer" that sends
> determines their level of non-service.

As a Small Business purchaser, I had to pay more for Gold Tech Support,
in order to ensure that I'd get good support... It didn't come free,
just 'cause I wasn't a Home buyer.

I do, however, think that (optional) level of support *should* be available
to all purchasers.

Notan

Maybe she is dong something special for the service mgr.

Jon Skidmore wrote:

> Maybe she is dong something special for the service mgr.

Always a possibility, but in this case it was just a matter
of more money, better service. <g>

Notan

dogface

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2005

> Dogface wrote:
> >
> > Except home buyers of expensive systems get low level service as well.
> > It is not what they paid, it is their status as a "home buyer" that
sends
> > determines their level of non-service.
>
> As a Small Business purchaser, I had to pay more for Gold Tech Support,
> in order to ensure that I'd get good support... It didn't come free,
> just 'cause I wasn't a Home buyer.
>
> I do, however, think that (optional) level of support *should* be
available
> to all purchasers.
>
> Notan

So are you a legitimate business or just a home buyer trying to get some
decent support?

Dogface wrote:

> "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
> > Dogface wrote:
> > >
> > > Except home buyers of expensive systems get low level service as well.
> > > It is not what they paid, it is their status as a "home buyer" that
> sends
> > > determines their level of non-service.
> >
> > As a Small Business purchaser, I had to pay more for Gold Tech Support,
> > in order to ensure that I'd get good support... It didn't come free,
> > just 'cause I wasn't a Home buyer.
> >
> > I do, however, think that (optional) level of support *should* be
> available
> > to all purchasers.
> >
> > Notan
>
> So are you a legitimate business or just a home buyer trying to get some
> decent support?

A legitimate small business (self-employed for the past 12+ years).

Notan

Are you implying that Dell has slipped to the level of Compaq, or are you
actually admitting that fact. >g<

"Ogden Johnson III" <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > The March issue of Consumer Reports, which came out last week, included
> >survey of 4,100 consumers, who gave Dell 62 points out of a possible 100
for
> >its support on desktop PCs. Although it still managed to top competing
> >brands Hewlett-Packard and Compaq, which scored 54 and 51, respectively,
> >Dell's rating represented a decline from the magazine's last desktop
support
> >survey, published in June 2003, in which it received a 64.
>
> What did HP and Compaq get in the June 2003 survey?
> --
> OJ III
> [Email to Yahoo address may be burned before reading.
> Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]

Sad, but true. The only exception being Apple, according to the same survey
being bandied about this thread.

"Dogface" <DogFace@doghouse.com> wrote in message
> Except home buyers of expensive systems get low level service as well.
> It is not what they paid, it is their status as a "home buyer" that sends
> determines their level of non-service.
>
> "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
> > Dogface wrote:
> > >
> > > Hmmm... don't recall seeing that in the Dell ads either.
> > > Shouldn't buyers expect what they have been promised?
> > > Namely "award winning support"?
> > >
> > > So the cheaper Dell system buyers get support fair to bad support.
> > > The middle of the line buyers get mediocre support.
> > > The top of the line buyers get the best support.
> > > I doubt that is the Dell service model.
> >
> > When I bring my Toyota in for service, the service is just
> > as expected... Very good.
> >
> > When my wife brings her Lexus in for service, not only is
> > the service very good, they give her a loaner, wash her car,
> > and numerous other "pluses."
> >
> > Do ya think it might be because she spent more money?
> >
> > Notan

Well, thank goodness. I'll lose my absolute control over them...
> Not to fear Tom. You remain the King of Dellbotia. These other low
> ranking
> Dellbots are merely pretenders to the throne...

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

Dogface wrote:

> Then all they need to do is to STOP telling people they are getting "award
> winning" tech support.
>
> Be honest and tell them "our tech support ratings for home buyers have been
> declining quite dramatically over the last few years as Dell has moved to
> overseas support to dramatically reduce costs and unfortunately that has
> resulted in hiring people that our customers cannot understand as well as
> people who don't know anything about Dell products that isn't written in a
> script."

Why don't you spend your time convincing the tobacco companies to
explain in detail the health risks of smoking their products first, then
move on to convincing the fast food companies to explain in detail how
unhealthy their high calorie/high fat/high sodium items are?

When I think about the companies that are really screwing the public,
Dell doesn't even make the list.

YMMV, of course.

Can you name me a tobacco company that advertises that it's products are not
harmful? That would be more a kin to Dell's advertising "Award Winning
Support", when in fact that level of support hasn't existed for Home
Computer buyers for more than two years.
In point of fact, the tobacco companies have web sites that clearly warn of
the health risks of smoking. Does Dell's web site warn Home Computer buyers
of the low level of support that they are going to receive with their
purchase?

"Sparky" <nemo@moon.sun.edu> wrote in message
> Dogface wrote:
>
> > Then all they need to do is to STOP telling people they are getting
"award
> > winning" tech support.
> >
> > Be honest and tell them "our tech support ratings for home buyers have
been
> > declining quite dramatically over the last few years as Dell has moved
> > overseas support to dramatically reduce costs and unfortunately that has
> > resulted in hiring people that our customers cannot understand as well
as
> > people who don't know anything about Dell products that isn't written in
> > script."
>
> Why don't you spend your time convincing the tobacco companies to
> explain in detail the health risks of smoking their products first, then
> move on to convincing the fast food companies to explain in detail how
> unhealthy their high calorie/high fat/high sodium items are?
>
> When I think about the companies that are really screwing the public,
> Dell doesn't even make the list.
>
> YMMV, of course.

Proper spelling is one of the prerequisites............

"Keith" <kmman@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> How much is the membership fe for DellBots? What are the criteria other
> than haviving the Dell does no wrong attitude? Are there functions and
> meeetings like in Amway?

keith

Yeah, I'm having trouble with this keyboard. I hope to get a Dell keyboard
which could never have a fault.

> Proper spelling is one of the prerequisites............
>
> "Keith" <kmman@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> How much is the membership fe for DellBots? What are the criteria other
>> than haviving the Dell does no wrong attitude? Are there functions and
>> meeetings like in Amway?

That's true for any appliance, tv, etc. Best to have a heavy duty surge
protector to handle the minor power surges. If lightening strikes, nothing
will protect it short of unplugging it. I personally have better things to
do than unplug everything everytime I see a cloud in the sky.

"lightening"--------Guess you received an exemption to become a member.
>g<

> Proper spelling is one of the prerequisites............
>
> "Keith" <kmman@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > How much is the membership fe for DellBots? What are the criteria other
> > than haviving the Dell does no wrong attitude? Are there functions and
> > meeetings like in Amway?

I think everyone here including Tom and what the Dell Haters call DellBots,
all agree customer service has gone downhill.

All PC makers customer service has gone downhill, some more than others.
What about the other "Award Winning PC companies" as Dell is not the only
"Award Winning PC Companies" for customer service?

If you go into the HP, Compaq, Gateway, IBM newsgroups, you will see the
same customer services problems as Dell is having.

Irene wrote:

> "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> That's true for any appliance, tv, etc. Best to have a heavy duty surge
> protector to handle the minor power surges. If lightening strikes, nothing
> will protect it short of unplugging it. I personally have better things to
> do than unplug everything everytime I see a cloud in the sky.

And lightning rods are for what?

Notan

Try looking up "lightening" in your Webster's.

> Irene wrote:
> >
> > "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > That's true for any appliance, tv, etc. Best to have a heavy duty
surge
> > protector to handle the minor power surges. If lightening strikes,
nothing
> > will protect it short of unplugging it. I personally have better things
> > do than unplug everything everytime I see a cloud in the sky.
>
> And lightning rods are for what?
>
> Notan

Since you're probably a man and not familiar with "lightening", I guess that
I should cut you a little in slack. >g<