[SOLVED] Customizing back plate for gtx 1060 ?

Solution
Pros: Cleaner look(subjective).

Cons: Cooling, but it depends on whether thermal pads were used or not.

Ideally, pads should be sandwiched between the back plate and Vram. That way, the plate actually DOES something beyond looks.

The GDDR5/R5X on older cards - such as that 1060 - ran pretty darn cool, that pads + back plate wasn't necessary at all. Vram operating thermals were well within operating range.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

Ideally, pads should be sandwiched between the back plate and Vram. That way, the plate actually DOES something beyond looks.

The GDDR5/R5X on older cards - such as that 1060 - ran pretty darn cool, that pads + back plate wasn't necessary at all. Vram operating thermals were well within operating range.

Reactions: slippers1690
Solution

slippers1690

Reputable
Sep 29, 2016

I will say the card does run good without having a back plate.
I was going to use the temper glass that i took off from front panel to make the back plate and fill it with holes so card doesn't get hot.

Most backplates aren't actually thermally coupled to the GPU, and are too thin to provide any significant rigidity, so they are purely cosmetic.

There are benefits to adding thermal pads between the PCB and the backplate, specifically behind the VRAM chips.

I would NOT use tempered glass as a backplate.....

slippers1690

Reputable
Sep 29, 2016
I was just saying: because of the GDDR5 Vram on that card, it'll still run fairly cool, even if you only put a back plate on it with no pads.
Yeah it is gd GDDR5 vram.Wish i got the 6gb one though.

I would NOT use tempered glass as a backplate.....
You tell me NOT to use temper glass but you didn't say why.

This is what i plan to do.
backplate
Maybe add another fan to the card ?.

Last edited:
Drilling might be possible, cutting to size will be near impossible. Tempered glass is normally cut to size and any holes put in it before tempering takes place. If you do try to take this on remember to wear safety glasses, while tempered glass does shatter into small pieces it does still put out small shards of glass, also wear leather gloves or if you can get your hands on it kevlar gloves and kevlar sleeves.

I work in the automotive industry and to handle any glass (windshields are laminated, all other glass is tempered) you have to wear glasses, and kevlar gloves, sleeves, and jacket.

slippers1690

Reputable
Sep 29, 2016
Drilling might be possible, cutting to size will be near impossible. Tempered glass is normally cut to size and any holes put in it before tempering takes place. If you do try to take this on remember to wear safety glasses, while tempered glass does shatter into small pieces it does still put out small shards of glass, also wear leather gloves or if you can get your hands on it kevlar gloves and kevlar sleeves.

I work in the automotive industry and to handle any glass (windshields are laminated, all other glass is tempered) you have to wear glasses, and kevlar gloves, sleeves, and jacket.

I will send the glass to you faalin and you can do it for me lol.
There is alot to it than i thought.
Think i need to phone a friend :).

You tell me NOT to use temper glass but you didn't say why.
I mean....do you know about the properties of glass (and tempered glass)? Shattering (chipping if you're lucky)? You're going to have a terrible time cutting and drilling tempered glass. Even if you're successful, if you bend/twist the card with the backplate installed, there's a good chance the glass could shatter at that point.

It sounds like you'd be better served with acrylic (plexi-glass). The workability is drastically better. And you can "frost" it where you want to have the LEDs.